JDM Forester, UK Fuel?

Cliddoris

I'm looking at picking up a JDM 2.0T forester, specifically a 2005-2007 Forester Cross Sports.

I was wondering what my options would be for over coming the difference in RON between Japanese fuel and our own?

I've been reading that running standard or even 97 here and I can kiss the pistons goodbye, are the ECU's not capable of pulling timing in their own?

Also if I considered getting the car mapped to run happily on UK fuel how would I go about this?  I've read so far that I either go for Ecutek or Opensource but I've read that this particular model isnt supported with OS.

Cheers.

Always advisable to remap an import, need to run it on 99ron, vpower or Tesco.

Best bet give a tuner a ring and have a chat with them, they will be able to advise on how to go about it and costs

Thanks for the reply,. I give a few tuners a call and see if they're familiar with Ecutek or have used it before.

I'm not aware of anyone online who has open source tuned a JDM forester yet as they have a different ECU model.

Thanks.

I had a Celica GT4 St205 import for a number years, and i just ran it on Shell VPower with no issues.

i know most people run vpower with no dramas but i guess the only way you are going to get full peace of mind is to get it on the rollers and set up for the fuel you will be using.

Hope that helps,

Mattie

I'm fairly sure ecutek works on impreza's of that age and know it works on up to 04 plate jdm imprezas but as you say someone who uses ecutek would know .

Only things I'd add about fuel other than using 99uk Ron is, If it's cold where you are try not to use wot in higher gears .As the colder denser air and heavy load in high gears might cause it to be a bit lean . The ecu would probably  "learn a bit" but as you say ,just pull timing and add fuel ,both of which would lessen performance and economy. 

If in doubt get a dyno health check done ,for piece of mind 😉

Thanks for the replies guys, I'll run it in the best stuff I can until I find someone capable of setting it up to at least give me the options if I'm on a long journey.

A friend think he knows someone who is family with ECUtek, I'll chat to him and see what my options are.