Advice on brake upgrade for track use

JT71

Guys,

I've recently bought a 2015 WRX STi (what an amazing bit of kit!!) and am looking to upgrade the brakes for track use.  It won't be my main track car, but I'd like to be able to take it on track without destroying them - I race, so it'll get used aggressively.  I'd like to avoid buying new calipers so looking for racing pads and discs for the existing 4 pots.  Has anyone any suggestions around what to use?  Doesn't need to be road legal.  EBC yellow stuff is far too soft - need something much more robust, and I notice that Ferodo don't seem to do anything for this car (I've historically used DS3000 on high carbon brembo's which is a great combo, albeit 'track only').

Any advice would be welcome!  

James. 

If your running it in track then I wouldn't even contemplate just doing pads and disks, full AP6 pot setup is a much better option even given the cost.

Also I would look at a few upgrades like oil cooler kit, baffled sump and fuel system upgrade to prevent fuel surge.

Additional given the well known flaws of the 2.5 I would expect it to not last that long before it needs a full rebuild.

Wow is it that fragile?!  

Do you know anyone in the SE who would be a good bet for sorting the car out for me?  I'm near Guildford.  

I'm conscious that racing a caterham, the Subaru is a rather different beast, however I do need to ensure it doesn't fall apart on it's first outing.  

Reality is that I'll probably use it as a winter track car when it's just too miserable to have any fun in the caterham.  

Yeah it is unfortunately 😞

2.5 especialy isnt great, suffers failures just from road use and struggles with heat on standard form.

Shame your not nearer the midlands or I could show you round some if the track and race cars they run up at scoobyclinic, give you some idea of the issues.

If a carbon metallic pad compound is what your used to , then I'd recommend pfc pads and dba discs .

Mine is only a road car but the combo seems very good , I bought mine from Alyn at "Asperformance" . Very knowledgeable chap and well worth a call to discuss your needs and budget .

R.m performance in banbury is worth a call if you want someone fairly local . They build road and rally scoobies and although I build my own engines , Mick at rm performance is one of the few people I'd let work on my car , if I couldn't do it myself .

On 6/25/2019 at 11:07 PM, savage bulldogs said:

If a carbon metallic pad compound is what your used to , then I'd recommend pfc pads and dba discs .

Mine is only a road car but the combo seems very good , I bought mine from Alyn at "Asperformance" . Very knowledgeable chap and well worth a call to discuss your needs and budget .

R.m performance in banbury is worth a call if you want someone fairly local . They build road and rally scoobies and although I build my own engines , Mick at rm performance is one of the few people I'd let work on my car , if I couldn't do it myself .

road and track are very very different chap, after being around people and cars up at clinic that do track days and full blown races, road stuff just isn't up to it. takes a very small time to over heat road level brakes for example.

• Like 1

Oh yes bud , know a fair few people with dedicated track cars and helped build a few of them . So fully understand that there's a massive difference between road and race .

I just mentioned the pfc carbon metallic pads ,as they were a similar sounding compound to what the OP said he'd used on track before . Tbh the dba t2 discs are probably good enough for occasional track days but that's why I recommend he speak to alyn at as performance .As he certainly knows his stuff and will take the time to go through tried n tested options,  rather than just selling you expensive stuff you dont need or can afford 😉

Do totally agree with the need for a swirl pot or spec c anti surge fuel pump cage (to stop fuel cut when cornering ) and a baffled sump if he intends to track it though 👍