Brake upgrade time

Hudson

With my front pads and discs very close to needing replacing I have been considering instead of getting just new discs and pads to upgrade to a set of brembos or some other big brake kit, some thoughts and opinions would be great. Cooked my fronts today on some spirited country roads

I would upgrade, do you have braided hoses? and a flush through with Dot5.1 will help with temps and also if it has been a while since it was last flushed there is probably water been absorbed which will not help

Standard 4 pot subaru brakes are never going to be the best. The fade is horrible. Whats your budget? Talk to Godspeed brakes, they will supply you what you need. APs ouch for a road car. Oh yeah buy new decent tyres that is one of the best upgrades if needed or have cheapos on.

12 hours ago, Siluro said:

Standard 4 pot subaru brakes are never going to be the best. The fade is horrible. Whats your budget? Talk to Godspeed brakes, they will supply you what you need. APs ouch for a road car. Oh yeah buy new decent tyres that is one of the best upgrades if needed or have cheapos on.

after having subaru road cars with and without, i would have for sure, standard brakes are pish by comparison

I upgraded to some smaller Brembos (same caliper used on the lightweight Alpha 4C) from Godspeed. I do not like the look of their big brake standard caliper conversion personally. I would love some APs but too expensive for a daily road car, school trips, commute, all in town traffic. I also wanted to keep standard 17inch wheels. Not a track car.

This first upgrade was worth the 1k i spent, refurbished oem rears with stainless steel pistons and some pfc pads and 2 piece front disks. It has all but removed any fade and gives me much more confidence. As you say the OEM 4 pots are totally inadequate in comparison to my Brembos so your APs must be far better. What is the cost of APs 3K?

Yeah ap's would be overkill but the price of a good set of discs and pads and hoses etc. for the standard 4pots might as well bite the bullet and spend a bit more on brembos or d2's maybe, I use michelin ps3 tyres and will be getting the ps4's next probably as they have been great

On 9/14/2019 at 12:18 PM, Siluro said:

I upgraded to some smaller Brembos (same caliper used on the lightweight Alpha 4C) from Godspeed. I do not like the look of their big brake standard caliper conversion personally. I would love some APs but too expensive for a daily road car, school trips, commute, all in town traffic. I also wanted to keep standard 17inch wheels. Not a track car.

This first upgrade was worth the 1k i spent, refurbished oem rears with stainless steel pistons and some pfc pads and 2 piece front disks. It has all but removed any fade and gives me much more confidence. As you say the OEM 4 pots are totally inadequate in comparison to my Brembos so your APs must be far better. What is the cost of APs 3K?

just to add a slight correction, it was my old type r that had ap's, my current car is on brembo's with uprated pads, and given the extra weight between the two they are a bit meh, bear in mind i am running 380/390 and aiming higher and even on a road car the current setup just wont be up to it.

price isn't as much as you think,

https://www.godspeedbrakes.co.uk/impreza-1993-1998-wrx/218-impreza-classic-newage-wrx-ap-6-pot-330mm-kit-.html   £1700

https://www.godspeedbrakes.co.uk/impreza-1993-1998-wrx/292-subaru-impreza-ap-6-pot-355mm-kit-.html £1800

although it isn't with proper AP disks. Given the power levels being talked about, i expect the 330mm kit will be plenty although your only talking £100 difference i'd personally go for the larger ones anyway (check wheel fitment), RCM do em at £2500 for 355 kit.

alcon kit is slightly cheaper.

https://rogerclarkmotorsport.co.uk/store/product/732-rcm-alcon-6-pot-front-brake-kit-black-343mm £2200

tbh its something i wanna look into as its on my to buy list.