Subaru losing power whilst driving

Bradd

Hi all 

Recently I’ve been having issues with my Subaru. whilst driving all of a sudden it has a loss of power and feels like it’s holding back. Literally has no power and then after a few seconds it will go back to being fine. 

I’m getting this a lot now and on today’s 45 minute trip it happened about 5 times where I’m driving and all of a sudden the car just loses power. 

Does anyone know what this could be? It might help by me adding that I’ve only started driving the car for the last 4 weeks. Before that she has been parked up.

this is a 93 Subaru Impreza WRX turbo (import)

any help will be appreciated 

Under what kind of driving conditions is it happening, does it feel as though it's fuel and are there any warning lights on the dash, if its happening under full throttle and max boost it could be fuel cut if it's overboosting this would cause it to cut out then start again once the boost pressure has lowered also if the fuel pump is stopping sporadically then it may well work when tested so could still be that 👍

I’ve noticed that sometimes it happens when I’m doing speeds like 20mph and even sometimes when I’m doing even 40 and above. 

last week I left the car started and idling for around 20 mins whilst I was chatting to my mate. when I started driving off it started playing up. But now it happens pretty much whenever 

could it possibly be the coil pack?

I think you'll have a coil pack on each cylinder so if one was starting to fail you would get a misfire, if you take them off one by one and check if there are any cracks in the outer casing as that can cause the spark to arc off the cam covers 

Have you done a self ECU code check? If not here's a link ...

As stu said its probably a coilpack or dirty maf , how much of a service did you give it when you put it back on the road ?

Hopefully the ECU will have a stored code but if not has it got any modifications and has it been mapped 

when I’m off work next week. 

Savage Bulldogs - the car had a full Engine service including spark plugs and filters..

I will check the ecu code when I’m with it next week..

sandals - the car was checked out by garage and they advised callipers are fine and everything else with it. He also checked for codes and advised there’s nothing showing

with regards to the fuel pump - which one should I go for and what sort of price am I looking at?

seeing as the car is 27 years old the fuel pump could possibly do with a change 

thanks for your help guys 

The last message didn’t upload as it should have 

stu - I will check coil packs next I’m off. I’ve heard the coil pack conversion Is a must on the older Impreza 

Yeah i upgraded the coil packs on mine when i had the engine out and they were really easy to wire in i've still got the destructions somewhere I'll dig them out and post it for you so you have something to reference to 👍

Thanks stu I will give that a look 

So yesterday - I’m driving And the act is playing up. Pretty much the worst it’s ever been. The car starts losing power, stalling and even sounding like a misfire. So each tome I’m starting the car up and engaging gear and setting off the car stalls. 

so finally I left the car to cool down and it seemed fine until I got further ahead. Assuming when it was warming back up again I was having the same thing again where it just stalls and sounds like a misfire. 

absolute nightmare it was. But I followed your advice Stu and went on to eBay and got coilpacks with the pigtails for £70 delivered. I will have a look at that link and see what I can do. 

would you say the symptoms I’ve mentioned - is that defo the coil pack? 

Cheers 

If you think it's misfiring then coilpack is a good shout also the newage one's are alot better than the ones that the early classics use, i definitely felt a difference especially lower in the rev range the engine seems to run smoother, it seems a bit strange to me that it's only happening when the engine is hot as i would have thought it would do it even when its cold, it's really hard to try and diagnose a fault when you're not there to see it happening but you won't go wrong with the coil packs upgrade 👍

• Like 1

I'd have thought you'd have had a ECU code stored if it's been playing up that much tbh . 

The newage coilpack conversion is certainly worth while imo .

But before you start throwing parts and money at it ,I'd suggest to try cleaning  the maf and double checking the ECU codes and reset the ECU (using the sticky link on here).

Might be worth removing the spark plugs to see if the colour of the plugs is any different on a particular cylinder,  this might point you in the direction of which cylinder is misfiring. 

• 4 years later...
On 2/4/2020 at 8:31 PM, Bradd said:

Hi all 

Recently I’ve been having issues with my Subaru. whilst driving all of a sudden it has a loss of power and feels like it’s holding back. Literally has no power and then after a few seconds it will go back to being fine. 

I’m getting this a lot now and on today’s 45 minute trip it happened about 5 times where I’m driving and all of a sudden the car just loses power. 

Does anyone know what this could be? It might help by me adding that I’ve only started driving the car for the last 4 weeks. Before that she has been parked up.

this is a 93 Subaru Impreza WRX turbo (import)

any help will be appreciated 

I have the same issue on 2011 Subaru exiga