Intercoolers

benjilovett

being at the front there is little to no heat soak so it's going to be cooler for the air, also it will lower the boost pressure as its a larger cooler, this will in turn give you a tad more poke, they are cheap enough to buy with some being cheaper than a top mount, you have to mod the bumper and the front wing to fit them though i think, if you want to get rid of as much heat soak as you can theres always the option to reverse the inlet too so the pipes aren't going over the engine before they get to the inlet

• Like 1

I've heard of tmic running close to 400 hp but (as miggs said) they do suffer from heat soak as their on top of the engine .you can make a few improvements to the tmic set up by fitting a sti , newage, or aftermarket one .Also fitting a air splitter (zerosport make one ) and a bigger under tray to increase air flow .

I upgraded to a sti v3 (as my scoobs a v3 ) straight fit in about a hour as I was only running a tdo4 .

Imo smaller turbo's struggle to fill the extra pipework and capacity of a fmic and therefore are only worth the hassle if you intend on aiming for over 300 hp

• Like 1

Depending on Intercooler Brand and Core it can be just as good having a top mount as it is a front mount.

The spool time differs as well from make to make and pipework arrangements (again something that is characteristic to each brand of cooler and how you decide to plum it in, front entry, or keep entry standard). Good to ask what brand and inlet style folk are running as to get the best idea.

I had a friend who just Fitted a well known brand of FMIC (leave it nameless as not wanting to name and shame incase it was just this one cooler with the issue) and lost 45bhp over his standard TMIC which he had used to get it mapped a few weeks prior with no other changes to the car and minimal use inbetween. his aim is over 350 BHp and was why he swapped.

Personally im running an STI Intercooler on mine and hitting 300BHP no problem at a bar of boost on a VF35 turbo with de-cat system, STI injectors, uprated fuel pump, maf less and a Haltech Standalone ECU.

I am aiming for a bit more after my next tune but will be using a new intake and a zero sports undertray to help keep the ACT's down during mapping. Will also be fitting that damn turbo blanket thats been gathering dust in the shed for three months to help reduce heat soak into the core.

End of day its what power your going for that would make the decision on whats best. either way both are good, and have practical implications/drawbacks depending on their intended use :)

• Like 2

Just waiting on a delivery from the States for my Zero Sports undertray, will let you know if it ever arrives (apparently its on its way from Japan but no update after a week) will post a link to it if it arrives as described so you can pick one up :)

Found it hard to find a UK supplier of them.

Let us know how you get on with the intercooler as well and what you go for, and a pic to prove ;)

• Like 2

I like you nvr2lt2k8 you can read my mind :)

I have to ask whats with the name. It's like a brain training game trying to type that 1st thing in the morning ;)

Haha thanks Gambit your no too bad yerself ;)

lol i use it on nearly every single forum im on!! It was my first ever e-mail address i had as a teenager and i just use it as people never generally forget such a messed up name!! on the plus side ive never been denied that user name either so i suppose its laziness as well in thinking up a new one. always think i should change it but never do lol :)

• Like 1

yeh my email is address has 2002 in despite the fact i created it in 2000, the wifes has 2000 in but she created that in 99, and these days i'd need 201320132014994826 at the end of my name to have it as an email address lol

• Like 1

What model impreza do you have?  If it's a classic then probably best going for a front mount but then.. the classics are limited on what the standard build engine can put out anyway so may as well have a top mount lol.  A new age is good for 350+ bhp with the Sti top mount.  

2 seconds on start up?  Chances are its just water/condensation in the exhaust.  It would be smoking for longer if there was any form of problem I'd expect.  Also check your oil and coolant levels and keep note of the levels over a week or two see if they change.

• Like 1

Ok so intercooler undertray arrived, as stated by the company

Goggle EDO performance :)

Not fitted it yet but can report back in a couple of weeks about fitment if anyone wants to wait before ordering as im completely unsure if it will be a perfect fit due to being away from the car just now!

But it cant hurt to take a look at the website :D