Stock tire replacement for winter

marcothio

Hi,

I have an ‘19 outback and noticed it has Geolandars 98 on it. I didn’t see any M&S logo hence I guess these are not all seasons (had an XV before with Geo’s 95 which are). Is this correct? 

I’m off to Germany in the winter and need winter tires. Anybody have good experience with steel wheels? 

thx

Remember M&S actually means very little other than the precentage of open tread, ie not a slick.

Winter rated tyres will have the 3 peak mountain and snowflake symbol embossed on the sidewall, this applies whether full winter rated or proper all season, they may or may not have M&S stamped on the side as well but it means nothing regarding winter grade rubber.

I don't know if Germany requires winter specific tyres or if snowflake stamped all season rubber satisfies the requirements.

• 2 months later...

I use the Bridgestone weather control A005 my car came with the geolanders which were junked within a week horrible tyres feels like its on slippery surface as soon as it rains, have also used the Michelin climate control on my 4x4 skoda

I have been using Michelin Cross-climate+  They work all year round, nice and quiet on the motorway they also work well in the snow.
I leave them on all year and they are in my opinion all the tyre you will ever need. 

They are winter rated, which also means you can use them where they are a legal requirement 

Good year also do a similar tyre 

continental All Season Contact are also similar. I had them on my Outback, and currently on my Levorg. With a Subaru, premium all seasons are all the winter tyre you need in this country. The Contis are as good in snow as full winters, and excel in cold wet conditions. I leave mine on all year, they've been great in hot summers too.

I had mine fitted by Black Circle at home, the fitter did a brilliant job, very careful & took his time, And commented Michelin cross climate are miles above top brand tyres due to there tyre pattern that is cut square giving top performance through out the life of the tyre.

Hope that helps anyone on what tyre to buy, we are spoilt for choice

All the best.

• Like 1