Steering problem

Allyjeep

I have a 06 subaru forester 2.5x and when I turn the steering at slow speed or when not moving I get a squeeling from the drive belt and a vibration through the steering wheel. The belt was just changed a year ago 

Edited by Allyjeep

• 2 weeks later...

I have sorted the squeeling by tightening the belt but I am still getting a bad vibration and juddering through the steering wheel when turning at slow speed. It's like something is sticking on. Only happens when turning. Anyone got an idea what is causing this? 

possibly pump low efficiency at low speed (worn/failing pump which not too uncommon)
Check fluid level in pump, check for leaks and do general visual checks of steering and if see nothing you be wise take it to a decent mechanic under suspicion of pump or if you DIY type guy maybe changing pump yourself, don't leave it too long as total pump failure can cause more issues to whole system if metal debris passes into rack an lines .
If is the pump do not buy aftermarket, you better with oem subaru used of cheap pattern part new or recon .

Just be diligent and not hot headed, keep clean and all be good, top up with suitable atf and bleed system by turning lock to lock .
It is simple job, hopefully you get lucky on good used part and old pump is at fault .
Has original pump/vehicle done high miles ?

As above - take your time and keep it clean as much as possible - I use rubber gloves over the end of the hoses and zip tie them to stop ingress of dust etc. I also have some wire or string ready to suspend the hoses up out of the way to stop the fluid draining over the engine / floor.  

• 4 weeks later...