opps

savage bulldogs

Couldn't get the scooby high enough off the ground to use that method with the last 6speed due to the size of the bell housing and max height on the axle stands .although I have done it before with other marque's of motors but ,I will admit they've all been rwd boxes which are lighter (about 25 /30 kg).EvenThe 5 speed scooby box weighs about 40 kg due to having a center diff .

We used a trolley board to slide it under the car and grabbed a side each and lifted it in place instead ;-)

Horses for courses as they say, I have some cut down scaffold planks that I used to use to get the jack under some of my past cars, I now find them handy for putting axle stands and trolley jacks on to get the extra height

Well my brv popped round and we spent 3hrs and managed to get the new box in situ , still got a a lot to do but I can manage the rest on my own .here's a couple of pic's anyways

Drive shafts out and tmic off

A5EB1D6E-orig_zpsd4d6b985.jpg

Starter motor, clutch slave off downpipe undone

90B18FD8-orig_zpsc8e7de80.jpg

Withdrew the clutch pivot pin to release the thrust race bearing

13B025C4-orig_zpsd701ef5f.jpg

Obviously I removed gearstick , prop ,zorst and a few other things and here's a pic of the 5 speed & 6 speed side by side and you can see why the 6speed is over 20 kg heavier lol

3FA109EA-orig_zps17e6db44.jpg

• Like 1

Certainly seems to be a lot bigger for just 1 (or in my case 2) extra gears lol .

We also fitted the 6 speed flywheel and clutch today ,but the thrust race looked a bit bent .luckily enough they have the same part number as the 5 speed so I used the 1 off the 5 speed kit id fitted last year .

Also Looks like I'll have to buy a couple of stub axles to convert the later boxe's female drive shaft sockets to male , so it will mate up with my classic drive shafts . Unless anyone knows if I can fit the later inner cv's to my classic shafts ?

well I had to buy the stub axles so I also fitted new drive/prop shaft seals and renewed the box oil with some devils blood(redline shock proof oil)

pic of the 6 speed stub axle conversion kit

61971303-orig_zps77ce7a7a.jpg

one of the kit fitted with the new seals so the later 6 speed drive sockets now match up with my classic drive shafts

0227E961-orig_zpsd6d03ae5.jpg

the weathers been rubbish here but im hoping to get the diff cover, exhaust and tmic fitted tomorrow ,as long as the weather mans telling the truth as I don't fancy laying under the car if its still raining

• Like 1

the 6 speed's finally in and running .I'm well chuffed with the difference in quality of gear change and the 400 rpm less I'm doing at 70 in 6th is a added bonus .

Now I just need to drink all the milk again so I can nip out in the scoob and get another pint :-D

• Like 3

the 6 speed's finally in and running .I'm well chuffed with the difference in quality of gear change and the 400 rpm less I'm doing at 70 in 6th is a added bonus .

Now I just need to drink all the milk again so I can nip out in the scoob and get another pint :-D

oh I know that feeling - funny happened to me every time it snowed as well we always seemed to need something :P

Just hope I can start to enjoy driving it now :-)

as it was off the road whilst fitting the engine

then I had to drive it like miss daisy with no boost for 1k miles (while running in)

Then had it mapped then blew the gearbox up two weeks later ....

And yes miggs 200 miles of smiles so far ;-)

• Like 2