Perrin Short Shifter

Mikku

I’m thinking about fitting a short shift to my 2005 WRX Wagon. I’ve seen and read lots of stuff online about the Cobb and Kartboy versions but they both use a replacement shift stick, whereas the Perrin one is basically an adapter which slips over the stock, OEM shifter. This doesn’t allow any adjustment of the gear knob height but I’m happy with the standard height, so that’s not a problem for me. Am therefore looking for feedback from Perrin users regarding any installation or subsequent issues. Thanks in advance.

Perrin Short Shifter.jpg

I have got the Perrin shortshift kit for the later hatch so not the same however the quality is top notch and the installation instructions were very clear. Also mine does adjust the height of the gear knob 😁

Thanks for the reply and feedback. Good to hear. If I can find one with reasonable shipping to Japan, I think I'm going to pull the trigger. That's not as easy as it sounds, so gives me time to remove the centre console to make sure that I've got a stock shifter before I go and order the wrong version! 🤪

On 2/4/2022 at 10:52 PM, Mikku said:

Thanks for the reply and feedback. Good to hear. If I can find one with reasonable shipping to Japan, I think I'm going to pull the trigger. That's not as easy as it sounds, so gives me time to remove the centre console to make sure that I've got a stock shifter before I go and order the wrong version! 🤪

Yes always worth checking 😁

• 2 weeks later...

Well I did check and it looks like I have the standard shifter, as per the pics below. However, I have decided against the Perrin adapter and have just ordered a Kartboy shifter instead!! 😁

I liked the simplicity of the Perrin adapter, both from a design and installation point of view but the more I looked at it, the more I thought that it's a work-around, compared to a replacement shifter. Plus the need to bend the metal, base plate and the different shift position were both minus points in my book. The Kartboy shifter seems to get rave reviews from many, and since it's only a little more expensive than the Perrin adapter, I therefore decided to go for one of those instead.

Shifter 2.jpg

Shifter 3.jpg

Kartboy Short Shifter.jpg

• Like 2

On 2/19/2022 at 11:24 AM, Mikku said:

The Kartboy shifter seems to get rave reviews from many, and since it's only a little more expensive than the Perrin adapter, I therefore decided to go for one of those instead.

Yup the Kartboy solution does get great reviews - You shouldnt have any issues with that product

I had no issues - very easy. There is a retaining clip and then you pull it out. The trick is to hold the plastic clip down so the teeth are able to expand and release the ball. If you just pull straight up the teeth close as you are trying to pull the plastic bit out as well.

I put some photos in the build thread but not a video of me actually releasing the ball as I did not know people had issues with it

• 3 weeks later...

Tried to install the Kartboy shifter yesterday but failed! 😭  Removing the OEM shifter was fine but getting the KB in was indeed a PITA, to put it mildly! I don't have any suitable pliers to remove the c-clip, not that I see it anyway. That left me with the ol' rubber mallet option but after an hour or so of swinging and swearing, I gave up. I tried inserting it at different angles and even resorted to a block of wood and metal hammer at one point, but decided to stop after the wood split into two! I did, however, manage to mallet the stock shifter back in, so could at least drive the car today. I have a couple more ideas to try tomorrow, including using the linkage to lever the shifter in and putting some nuts onto the top of the shifter so I can whack it with a metal hammer without damaging the threads. 🙄 Onwards and upwards!!

IMG_6030.jpg

Shifters.jpg

Shifters 2.jpg

I thought you had to release the circlip before removing the white, plastic socket/cup thing with the shifter in situ? In any case I'd prefer to avoid buying some special pliers just for this, so will try the other options before resorting to that. Grrr! 😣

Success! Bought a pack of M12 x 1.25 nuts and swapped out the rubber mallet for something more substantial. The shifter went in on the third or fourth hit! 👍

I put the stock knob on there to begin with and tbh, was a bit disappointed as I was expecting more of a shorter throw plus it was a bit "squelchy", probably due to all the grease I had used. However, after a few miles, I put on the WC Lathe Werks knob and that felt much better. Am going away for a long weekend tomorrow, so will have the chance to give the new set-up a good run out 😎

Shifter Tools.jpg

Shifter nuts.jpg

WC Lathe Werks 6.jpg

• Like 2

I have now put about 500 miles on the Kartboy shifter/WC Lathe Werks combo and I flippin' love it. The new shifter has bedded in, if that’s the right expression, so is now smoother and less notchy than when first fitted. I love the shorter throws, particularly between 2nd and 3rd gears.

One thing I’ve had to do was modify the base plate to avoid contact when engaging first gear. I didn’t want to cut or bend the plate, so removed it then filed the underside where it was being hit by the shifting rod. As you can see from the pic, it’s not very pretty but it's smooth enough and is obviously out of sight, so I'm okay with that. When I refitted it I was also able to move the plate forward and to the left by a couple of millimetres. As a result of one or both of those mods, the contact has all but gone. I may do a bit more filing on it when I get home and/or slightly widen the 4 retaining bolt holes but for the moment, I’m enjoying the smoother shifts. 😎

When the centre console was off I also took the opportunity to tighten the handbrake adjuster to lower the handbrake lever a bit. 👍

Base plate 3.jpg

• Like 1