Pick your Brains on Impreza Diesels

brid

Hi All

Thinking of getting an Impreza Diesel but currently owning a couple of diesels at the moment I have a few questions on DPF filters and servicing, If anyone could help?

I currently own a Freelander 2 and a Fiat Bravo. Both are deisel and both have DPF filters but they both handle things in a different way. The Bravo is the best of the two with the DPF problems but that is the one I would sell to get the Impreza. I do long journeys but have periods of just running about which can cause the DPF to block of which is not a problem if you know what to do to unblock it. The Bravo puts a light on the dashboard warning you that the DPF is blocked, you then put it on the nearest bypass at about 50 to 60 mph for 10 mins and it runs a regen and all is fine for a long time. The Freelander 2 is different in the fact that it will have three regen attempts in secret so to speak and if the third regen attempt fails for some reason the limp home engine light comes on and it's a visit to the dealer to resent things. This is annoying with the Land Rover as if it told you what was going on like the Fiat does you could take it for a longer run to sort things out before the dealer has to get involved.

This only happens once ish a year as the long journeys stop any of this from happening but it does happen if my work changes to where I live. My question is what happens on the Impreza Diesel when the DPF gets blocked? is it like the Bravo or the Freelander 2?? Do any of you have any experience of this happening?

Cheers

Brid

unfortunately I dont know about Subaru diesels but the expereinces I had with the DPF on my merc van were sorted when I had a service using BG products along side the regular oil change, the engine and pipework were all cleaned out the DPF cleaned out and now I use a bottle of the BG fuel additive in every tank of diesel - had no issues since

I di it every time but to stretch it you could do every other time - Im not fussy about the diesel so will use supermarket stuff or standard BP Shell etc, the product has all the additives and cleaners that you would find in Shell nitro diesel

The stuff I use is product number 2276 - BG DFC with Lubricity

After having the service done I noticed an improvement in throttle response and reduced engine running temperature it dropped from an indicated 100 down to 82 :o the black sludge that was coming out of the exhaust is no longer there - there would also be better fuel economy for a slightly less spirited driver :D

so the flush followed by the continued treatment has kept things clean

• 1 month later...

Interesting reading this....especially as subaru seem to be having a big push on the diesel models for foresters and outbacks.

I swore I'd never get a diesel again after the DPF issues I had with my Qashqai. If this really is as good a solution as you suggest, I may need a re-think in future years  :ph34r:

Hi David

I think diesel is the way to go if you want 4x4 . I am still going to get an Impreza Diesel but currently still driving my Fiat Bravo, If it works it does sound like a great solution but I just really wanted to know how the Subaru Impreza tells you when the DPF filter is blocked and as a driver is there something I could do to unblock it (as I can do now with the bravo but NOT the Freelander)

Yeah, my QQ used to have the same feature as your bravo....warning light that was solved by a dual carriage way cruise or 5 mins in 2nd at 40mph lol.

Very annoying, regardless

Sent from my iphone using Tapatalk

Be careful on the subaru diesels as they suffer with injector blow by which causes excessive carbon build up in sump and blocks pick up pipe which in turn causes oil pressure failure and knocks cranks out and engines are expensive and not many parts available to rebuild cheers martin sss

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

• Like 2