Cam Bolt Sheared...

Hi All,

just before christmas, id just pulled away from a roundabout, got into second gear, then i heard a nice loud ping and lost all power. 

I got the car put on a flat bed and dropped off round at my grandmas garage, after a bit of closer inspection, i found one the bolts had sheared on one of the idlers, the cambelt had 'wandered' off the idlers a bit but was still intact. however the idlers look worse for wear and it definitely sounds like its thrown it out of time,

i've stripped most of the ancilleries off the block, and im going to take the engine out, but before i give it a full inspection, id just like a bit of advice with regards to my options and pricing.

Do i strip it down, assess the damage and replace components that have been damaged (assuming nothing has cracked) or am i better off trying to source a replacement recondiitoned engine?? I'll be keeping the car for the forseeable future, i just don't really know much about these cars as i've only had it a few months..

Its an 05 Blob Eye WRX which i've been told is a version 8 engine.

any help would be greatly appreciated :)

I have been thinking this, just need someone to confirm what engine i have in my car, i know its an EJ20, but after finding a freshly rebuilt engine on evilbay, i was told it wouldnt fit in my car due to the heads being different...

Don't know much about the newage compatability I'm afraid but I use importcarparts for most of the bits on my classic engine build

http://www.importcarparts.co.uk/parts.asp?page=2&cat=96⊂=183&sec=349&var=54&dc=0&gen=&searchKey=

I also had a quick cross reference on the inlet gaskets (as the stud pattern and shape of the inlet are normally the difference between versions ) and on the link above they show a different gasket set for 2001 to 2002 (bugeye)

2002 to 2005 (blob eye) they show 1 set for import and 1 set for uk versions.

Not very conclusive info I know but ,if you decided to rebuild your engine and need any gaskets/parts they're about the cheapest around (if you find cheaper they'll price match anyways).

Also if you speak to luke at icp he knows his scooby spares and would be able to advise you on engine compatability .

• Like 2

Don't know much about the newage compatability I'm afraid but I use importcarparts for most of the bits on my classic engine build

http://www.importcarparts.co.uk/parts.asp?page=2&cat=96⊂=183&sec=349&var=54&dc=0&gen=&searchKey=

I also had a quick cross reference on the inlet gaskets (as the stud pattern and shape of the inlet are normally the difference between versions ) and on the link above they show a different gasket set for 2001 to 2002 (bugeye)

2002 to 2005 (blob eye) they show 1 set for import and 1 set for uk versions.

Not very conclusive info I know but ,if you decided to rebuild your engine and need any gaskets/parts they're about the cheapest around (if you find cheaper they'll price match anyways).

Also if you speak to luke at icp he knows his scooby spares and would be able to advise you on engine compatability .

Thanks for the info mate, i'll be sure to check it out. I'll get in touch with Luke and see what he says about the compatability. i was assuming it was something to do with the stud configuration when he said the heads werent compatible, however, i've also read something about "AVCS", but i dont know whether that is just the difference between WRX and STI heads..

its looking like its just gonna have to be a full strip down, then a rebuild with some uprated bits..... can see me spending a lot of money ha!

I shall keep you informed on the price as mine is currently in Subaru services having a full strip due to leaking from Every gasket, a tip if you do it your self do not just use Gasket sealer like the idiot who rebuilt the engine in mine did or expect problems further down the line.

I shall keep you informed on the price as mine is currently in Subaru services having a full strip due to leaking from Every gasket, a tip if you do it your self do not just use Gasket sealer like the idiot who rebuilt the engine in mine did or expect problems further down the line.

Cheers, i suppose that will give me a breakdown of parts cost, I'll just minus the labour as I'll be doing it myself, I've found a reputable machine shop near me that i can send the block off to get the cylinders re-honed to the new piston rings and the pricing is pretty reasonable.

May as well make it like new again if im gonna Shell out the money!

Avcs adjusts the cam timing on newage sti's which lessens spool time , but you'd need a different ecu /avcs loom to make them work on your wrx .I'm unsure when the avcs came in but, you might be able to find a newage non avcs sti engine that would fit .or you could source a second hand newage sti bottom end and fit your heads to it .

As ash said make sure you use new gaskets and (the correct) three bond liquid gasket between the block halves .

there's a link on my project thread on here leading to a site (ken gilbert )that has impreza manuals available for free pdf download.

As your need to reverse the head/block bolt torque sequence on dissambly to avoid warpage

• Like 1

yeah i presumed it was something like that, im confused though, aren't STI's 2.5 litre's? 

yeah i'll be sure to buy all the appropriate gaskets and sealing agents , i'll take a look through your project thread now. (while i download the manuals)

these cars aren't half complicated compared to my old Primera ha, that was a piece of **** to work on!

Thanks for your help so far, its much appreciated.

Just take your time and you will be fine. It is vital that all bolts are tightened to the correct torque settings or problems will occur down the line. Use graphogen paste  between all moving parts when you build it, dont go mad with sealant and you should be fine.

The head compatability issue: The later heads (V5 onwards I think) have a different bolt pattern to the earlier ones for the inlet manifold. Yours will be the later ones.

Yes, the 2.5 STI,s have AVCS which you should steer clear of

• Like 1