Immobiliser

Jeronimo

Well, I've had my legacy for a couple of weeks now and one aspect is driving me mad :angry:

The immobiliser.

What is the point of having this activate, i.e. prevent the engine starting because I have not done so within a ridiculously short time (<30sec) of unlocking the car???  :(

Taking the key out of the ign and putting it back in does nothing.  The car locks have to be activated and opened again before the car will start.  It seems to me that having the key in the ignition, or even just in the car (as it communicates through the transponder system) should be enough.

Anyone know if there is a way to sort this?  At least lengthen the time between unlocking and starting the engine??

Cheers, Jerry.

I think all Subaru's do that mine does it I can turn the key so far but wont start I just hit the button and it starts. It's not really bothered me to be fair :D

Not sure if this can be changed with the Security key pad or not.

This feature is RIDICULOUS  :angry:

I just went to the shops, got a few groceries, opened the back door to put 'em on the seat, get in the front, belt on, key in, turn and no go  :(.

One press of the button, turn the key and the alarm goes off.  It is really stupid!!  and I'm not impressed by this.

To have to lock and unlock the car in such a short time.................... AAAAARRRRRRRRRRRGH!!

Shouldn't have to keep locking the door both the car's in the garage do it and all I do is turn the key to start it if the immobilisers clicked it it won't start it. And I just press the button push the key forward again and thats it, if it's not far enough on the turn I have had it set the alarm off before. If I still have the codes for the key pad I will have a look to see if it can be turned off    

Cheers Gambit.

There is only 1 button on my keys which turns the alarm on and off.  So pressing it once does not do the business.

Obviously I don't want to disable the immobiliser completely.  I don't understand why it needs to be active if the key is in the ignition and has been present when the alarm is turned off. 

If the immobiliser has to be activated sometime after the alarm is off, a more sensible delay period would be acceptable.  The question is - can the delay be lengthened?   

Jerry

Had a quick look I'm not sure if it will work on yours and don't want to give you info that could give you anymore problems but did look and it seems you can change the time to 99 seconds as a maximum if I'm reading it right I will post up some screen shot's tomorrow once I figured how on windows 8  :lol:

Only thing I have is for the Sigma 30 I will have to check what security was in your's. I'm sure it's only good for 2001 to 2003 Legacy about 2005 Foresters not sure about Imp's say 2005 as a rough guess  :( will keep looking if not. 

• 1 month later...

PMSL

Hi there, gotta agree with the original post, this feature it drives me up the fecking wall.  Its the most stupid idea ever.  

But even worse than that is this feature:      I parked up to go into a shop, I locked the door with the key-fob, but then forgetting my wife was staying put in the car, I then unlocked the doors with the key-fob.  By the time I got back to the car 2 mins later, I could hear the car alarm with a rather pee'd of red faced wife,  shouting that she was just sitting in the car and after about 20 seconds, the car just locked itself and the alarm went off.  How even more fecking stupid is that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But good job I have a sense of humour.

mick

• Like 1

@mickjo, yours has the auto arming activated & that feature can be turned off, as for the issue related in original post Ganbit has covered that already.

Basically the 30 second immobilizer arming after unlocking can not be turned off as an important feature linked to the cat 1 cert the alarm is approved to.

All you do is in scenario when you turn to crank the engine & nothing happens or you just here a relay click because 30 seconds have passed & damn immobilizer has come in is to leave the ignition key in IGN position (next twist would be starter/crank engine) then press the single alarm button & it will disarm the immobilizer & then you can twist ignition key one turn to crank & start car as normal, no real hassle or bother.

The alarm senses the ignition key IGN position & if ignition key in this IGN position (where key sits when car engine running) pressing the key can only turn immobiliser off or do nothing otherwise it would be possible to turn alarm on while driving & actually cause car to cut out & potentially cause an accident.

If when you try turn the immobilizer off you are arming the alarm it is because you are turning the key back to ACC ignition position or further then it possible to arm the alarm & also holding button down acts as panic mode & alarm goes straight off.

Had same issue with Fozzy I recently gave my sister, fortunately a quick lesson on that & how use the oil dipstick effectively should have her fully subaru efficient :-/ lol

• Like 2

Gambit's original advice to me for my OP was of course correct, as is the answer in post #14.

Took me a while to cotton on to the key position required for a single press of the key button to be effective in turning off the immobiliser.  Thanks Gambit. 

• Like 1

I don't mind meeting her as long as she secretly promises not to beat me in any arm wrestling competitions in front of anyone :D

looking at your avatar you could be a perfect match, are you married Mr Gambit ;) she is available & I suspect very good at a bit of clandestine arm wrestling :D

I think the full leather gimp suit and bondage handcuffs has put a lot of the ladies off trying for going halves with me on anymore babies at my favourite pulling hot spot. That's is Mcdonalds car park I like to go for the classier types ;) 

• 11 months later...

hi all., new and first post..agreeing to everything here, only had my 08 legacy 2.5se wagon a week and had the issues with the immo...but certain it was less than 30 secs between unlocking and attempted ignition on the first occasion it happened, slowly getting used to it, but whats this keypad i'm hearing about ?..do they all have one ?

Anyway the point of my first post is of course a couple of newbie questions...I had ACC come up on the display that usually shows time and temp the other day , can find nothing about it in the owners manual, and its not come up since, but wondering what it meant ... also since then, coincidence probably, but the red display lights around the radio have stopped working, the radio still works fine but i can't see the controls for it in the dark, is it an easy fix ??

i'll put some pics of the car up soon :)

• 2 months later...

Hi all, this 30 second immobiliser thing really annoys me and I hate explaining it to anyone I give the car to use. I don't care if the car is stolen I just want this to stop, is there anyway to disable the immobiliser? Thanks in advance.