2009 Impreza 330s not boosting

chrisbarter

Car seemed pretty slow today and ddidn't seem to be boosting. . Scanned the ECU and theres no fault codes on it but its only producing 9.5psi in the inlet manifold not the usual 25ish . . Seemed to be fine yesterday then like this today . . Any ideas anyone? ?

I don't think it will be that unless it's been left with and old fuel filter in from new and some how got a bit of crap through. Or a bad build up of carbon. So I guess it could happen I should never say never :) 

I'm thinking it's a boost leak myself. something's come loose somewhere I would almost put money on it :D 

Yeah as it runs smooth just isnt boosting enough I don't think its fuel . . Next job is to try and look at all the hoses tomorrow I think then. . On another note whats considered to be the best diagnostic kit for these hatch imprezas?

• Like 1

I take it to my mate for that I'm not spending £2000 on the same thing he has :D and I get to use it for free well he does it I just stand and watch ;) after he's made me a cuppa tea he's good like that. 

what mode did you have it in? It may have defaulted to SI mode which runs half a bar boost circa 7-8 psi

you may have a leak although on such a comparitively recent model for a hose to go is a bit pants

DV if standard will be the OEM recirc valve on the TMIC nearside

S mode runs 1bar about 14.7 Psi and S# runs 1.5bar which would be your 21+ psi

It sounds electrical to me so if no codes were generated I would look at some rolling road time to check ECU map (and look at launch control flat foot shifting down shift throttle blip) and general engine performance live or maybe a dealer but that could just resort in easter egging - not come across this one before though

If you are down that way have a word with Scooby Pete he's local to you. might be able to advise someone local also he's a good bloke also does local meet's for use via Surrey Scoobies so he know's a few people too :D

And second JGM 

are you taking the readings from the dash display and can you tell a pysical difference between SI and S#?

if it is reading the same in all modes and you can tell a difference I would still say electrical / computer

ooorr massive outside left field, possibly actuator failing but this is a long shot that should cause a fault code

I was taking the pressure from my Bluetooth OBD reader and the torque pro app logging the data looking at inlet manifold pressure. Cant remember if there was any difference in the modes now but it certainly wasnt giving more than 9.5psi . . Hopefully il be off work this afternoon to go give it a good test in all modes then see what I can find. Il let you know what I find as I do! . . Yeah I thought if it was the actuator it should throw a fault code , it was showing wastegate limits/ operation code before its last service (less than 1000 miles ago) but that hasnt come back since it was cleared off and a vacuum pipe replaced that had come off near the fuel pressure regulator.

Well iv checked out all the pipework on the pressure side of the turbo to the intercooler and throttle body. When I removed the IC there was a bit of oil in it? Not enough that I could pour it out or anything! Engine oil level still spot on where it was after it was serviced. Before I did that I warmed it up and took it for a run and watched the boost pressure in all 3 modes I first then Sport and S# . Tried them all from 2000 revs in second and put my food down the graph for both sports is pretty much the same see attached pic, so im still stuck really!.

post-1636-0-60803900-1389624838_thumb.pn