can i put a non turbo engine in my wrx

kevstep0

I've never been asked that before.

Several answers really depending on the actual question.

If you are asking if you could fit the gl engine and run it as a gl engine, then the answer is yes but it will give you a lot of issues unless you change the ecu, exhaust and a fair few other bits and pieces, probably the gearbox and diff as well.

If you are asking if you could fit it and put all the wrx parts on it, then the answer is no because the head will not have the oil feeds for the turbo.

If you are asking if you could just use the short motor and fit your heads and ancillaries to it, then yes you can. I know of one engine that was used in this way. While it ran, it was great, smooth and powerful. However, it didn't last long due to the extra pressures of boost and it not being forged.

Whichever of the above applies, it would probably be easier to either repair your own engine or get a replacement engine that came from a turbo car.

• Like 2

If you are asking if you could just use the short motor and fit your heads and ancillaries to it, then yes you can. I know of one engine that was used in this way. While it ran, it was great, smooth and powerful....

I've also seen this done but again the engine failed in under a year. Another issue here is that using non-turbo pistons increases the compression ratio which not only puts more pressure on the internals but it also gives issues with power delivery and makes life difficult for whoever you find to map the new engine.

• Like 2

thanks for that guys great info, mine got bottom end engine failure.....but before i do anything i'm trying my luck in the small claims court as a bought the car from a dealer and only had the car 7 weeks before it went pop

thanks for that guys great info, mine got bottom end engine failure.....but before i do anything i'm trying my luck in the small claims court as a bought the car from a dealer and only had the car 7 weeks before it went pop

I'd say you will have a pretty good chance I've seen people win claims after 9 weeks not sure what the longest is. But 7 weeks is still doable

but best of luck all the same have to keep us updated I know we had another member trying to sort out a claim for faulty repairs :(