V3 turbo wagon not starting

Right, yesterday I went out in the car on the school run and had a few stop start errands along the way, all was good with no issues, parked up at home as per, come out to pick kids up and the car just cranks but won't fire, there's half a tank of fuel there's spark and after disconnecting the fuel filter there's fuel gushing out when it's cranked, the ht leads are dry so I would assume the plugs are too on the outside, I've checked fuses and even checked the pick up from the nearside part of the tank is working too and all good, after nearly killing the Battery trying it I got the leads out and tried again, it fired for a few seconds then died and has just been cranking since, I've been on it for four hours and am now lost and frustrated, does anybody have any idea what it could be, the check engine light is showing no faults and I've also tried unplugging the maf with no difference

Cheers guys

Sent from my Nexus 7

Ouch :(

Number of things 

IACV

MAFS

Water temp sender ( I've seen people have problems like yours)

And check your pipes see if you have pulled or made any come loose all of them :D

If fails strip or sell on and get insurance pennies buy another one ;) 

As tlag said surprised you haven't got any codes .

when i replace the oil and filter I pull the crank sensor plug off to stop it firing and turn it over to get the oil around the engine prior to starting . I've never had a code come up once I've plugged it back in and started it, so maybe check the connection to that and a few of the other sensors.

Failing that have you tried putting a old spark plug in one of the ht leads and holding it to a bolt on the bodywork (earth) with some insulated pliers and getting someone to turn it over . You should be able to see if it's sparking .

best of luck fella

Yeh I have a spark on all 4 leads, borrowed a set if quality testers and checked that, I have wondered about cam and crank sensors and that will be tomorrow's job, the immobiliser theory has crossed my mind, it has 2 immobilisers and 3 lights, factory one in the clocks, aftermarket one has a main light on the dash and a hidden over ride plug and light in the glove box, the factory light stops flashing when I turn the ignition on, the after market one kills all power to ignition so no instrument lights until I press the alarm fob, the latter would lead me to believe that's fine but I have wondered if the factory one is at fault, I'm not gonna be spending on it as I have intended to strip it down once I have the insurance cheque in the post, I did also wonder if it could be an ecu issue

I'll keep you posted guys, thanks for the info

Sent from my Nexus 7

possibly ECU but when it comes to things like that they tend to quite binary (work or dont work) unless its a loose connection which might give your intermittent starting - also the ECU will be part of the spark plug and fuel supply circuitry so if it did fail you wouldnt have either

fair point, i didn't do anything yesterday as i was too sore from the day before, i think i'm gonna have another look today at some point, i'm gonna start stripping the car down as it's gonna happen anyway so i will make a start taking interior bits out and check all wiring while i'm there

Well don't I feel like a tit, took the under dash trim off to check wiring and noticed the 2 plugs I've been connecting by touch were the green ones, I thought the bigger ones were the black ones and as you could hear parts being checked that I was right, anywhoo I plugged the black ones in and low and behold I have codes, 13, 23 & 53, I have removed the maf so that's likely to be that code, would the pump cause the cam sensor to show or vice versa? I don't wanna buy one to find its the other as I'm trying not to spend on a potential breaker but need a car, also I have a 2.0 sport cam sensor, would this work on a turbo?

Sent from my Nexus 7

Well if it wasn't goosed before I think it is now, if replaced the cam sensor and fuel pump relay still no change, I took the fuel feed pipe off the fuel filter and it gushed out like it wasn't getting to the injectors, I thought I'd change the crank sensor as I have a spare and isn't too hard, removed alternator and pulled the sensor and it broke with the top of the sensor in my hand and the body in the engine, I looked at an old oil pump I have and determined that there was no point removing the pump as the sensor is sealed inside, I drilled the top of the sensor to get an easy out in and that just made things worse, I went too far with the drill, not on purpose, and now have a hole in the bottom of the sensor housing, I'm not going to the pain of a job of swapping the pump for a few weeks then stripping the car so when I can be arsed I think k it's time to call it a day on this one

Yeh luckily we have some great neighbours, 1 couple have 2 cars and one just the one, both have said if ever I need the car to just ask, the ones with 2 cars gave me the spare key to one and said if I ever use it just text and say "taking car" so they know its not been stolen

Posted Image

It's one of the reasons we haven't moved in 12 years, it's the top of a cul de sac an all the neighbours bar one are as friendly as, I remember stories my nan used to tell me about just after the war and how people would come and tell you your door was open or you'd left the keys in the lock, and how all the neighbours would just knock on the door for a brew and a chat, that's what it's like here, rough as a bears !Removed! on this estate but the half we are on is private owned houses and as it's a dead end it's quiet as here