Stuck caliper?

Pommy

Was closer to £100 after delivery and VAT was added on, but then I ordered it yesterday afternoon and received it at 930 this morning so quick quick service. Don't think it is genuine Subaru though, is silver and says WRX Pro as you can see in the photo's. Old calliper off the car with the disc stuck on, took some force to get it off and then some of the calliper in general and then the new one all put on. Admittedly not the best photos but you get the jist.

3844C9F2-727D-4BCA-8596-36CA1589CCDB_zps

1EEFD94F-5B8C-41C7-8706-C352E9DBBC4C_zps

DEE21F68-849C-4E25-A868-8A9FE00E5AAE_zps

22FE94AF-D04C-41BB-8804-2DC3FE980897_zps

the wrx/pro are copy's by budweg i think and are sold by Brakes International  too,  there ok.

but feel a little cheap nothing replaces an original item,

and the photos of the old 4 pots is to be expected ive had some worse than them but after a session in my blaster and powder-coated and lacquered they look a million times better it just takes a little time and effort on my part to get them looking like this   ( post-1114-0-93638100-1393006031_thumb.jp)

• Like 2

I also think they are a bit heavier which isn't a shock, or this could just be me imagining it. But I needed the cheaper option as I haven't been paid since before Christmas (had to leave job to go to Aus) so am running a little low. I personally think it looks better in silver, although at the moment one is silver and the other one is red....

will hopefully get a chance to change the discs and pads on the passenger side tomorrow morning and see if there is any noticeable difference between the genuine and not so genuine.

Although this !Removed! rain makes it hard to do any job, started the caliper in the sun today and ended it in pouring rain.

I also think they are a bit heavier which isn't a shock, or this could just be me imagining it. But I needed the cheaper option as I haven't been paid since before Christmas (had to leave job to go to Aus) so am running a little low. I personally think it looks better in silver, although at the moment one is silver and the other one is red....

will hopefully get a chance to change the discs and pads on the passenger side tomorrow morning and see if there is any noticeable difference between the genuine and not so genuine.

Although this !Removed! rain makes it hard to do any job, started the caliper in the sun today and ended it in pouring rain.

there shouldn't be any difference in stopping power unless the original one is not working 100% which wouldn't have been noticeable at the time prior to getting the newer one on.

Yeah there shouldn't be any but will be interesting if there is. However we will have to wait for a decision, went to change the discs and pads on passengers side and managed to round the top 17mm bolt. The bottom bolt came off with a bit of pressure, however the top one didn't, so I used plus gas, cleaned it off with a wire brush, more plus gas and waited 10 minutes, went back and still no movement in any direction. Repeated again with plus gas, went to move the bolt and it just rounded off, will be off to RH on Tuesday hopefully so they can wack it off for me and then finally might be able to get the !Removed! thing off!!!

Well this story gets even better. Now the passenger side caliper is seized!! When trying to get it off today I did notice one of the ales was torn so had a feeling it was on way out.

I think it may have been seized for a while but seized while not putting pressure on the pads. However maybe when bleeding the brakes the systematic pressure forced it out a bit and stuck it there. So time for another caliper change.

I changed my front pads the other day did have a seized piston on one side! But the pads were really low!! Free'ed up the piston but seems fine on the new pads, just wondering if the pistons have more potential to seize the further out they are if that makes sense!

They are a diddle to change assuming your bolts come off easily Jonny.

Me B I am talking to Cusco about reconditioning and getting one done the same colour. Then when I get the cost I can weigh it against the price of the WRX Pro one

• Like 1

Found the WRX PRO caliper on eBay from brakeparts.co.uk but cheaper than their own website!!! And free delivery for Tuesday.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUBARU-IMPREZA-inc-WRX-TURBO-LEFT-FRONT-BRAKE-CALIPER-4-POT-BRAND-NEW-BCA2882A-/261286155112?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3cd5de5368

Seems odd to me but there you go.

Maybe if they've got some card company that has more expensive fees than eBay so they try and encourage eBay purchases? Just a guess.

What's the deal Cusco with exchanging/refurbishing calipers? What's the turnaround? Price? I'm not in a hurry to do it yet but have some time off coming up, and my car can go for as long as needed on stands

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Yeah, I guess they could be charged more for card use than on eBay.

haven't heard from Cusco over the weekend (maybe he has a life outside of Subaru ;)) so not to sure, I ordered mine online as I need them quickly, but still thinking on having the old calipers sent off to him, and then having them refurbed as spares or just selling them to him. Heard good things about him though.

I've PM'd him about this and waiting for a reply I'm guessing not cheap as the 4 PM's it's been skirted over :D

I know mine need's doing but trying to workout the price for the calipers along with a new front part of a hub and bearing AGAIN! :( and new discs and pads all round I would like to do it all in one go save doing it in bits but need to know prices, as i'm going to mainstealers for a new hub and bearing this time and don't really want to have the car off the road for long if it can be helped :)