Stuck caliper?

Pommy

On the way to work and back I have noticed a problem. When accelerating the car is juddering. The brake pedal is much much harder and much higher up the pedal travel. And the front right brake was smoking when I arrived. And I didn't brake heavily or anything like that. And the steering was vibrating at 55mph and above. Could it be a seized calliper? Will have a proper look either tomorrow afternoon or Tuesday depending on time but any info on what to look for would be great.

I will attempt a write up. Will be my first ever so might not be the best!! But will try.

Should I get one win pistons? Like this http://www.godspeedbrakes.co.uk/~godspeed/product.php?id_product=150

Or one with just seals like this

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/231152981308?cmd=VIDESC

Thanks

Well I have taken the plunge and bought the kit for myself so will be rebuilding them. Got 4 pistons and all seals. Will try to do a write up but may take a while before I have time. Wish me luck

best of luck with it - take your time and try to pump the pistons out as much as you can in situ (remove caliper from mounts remove brake pads and press brake pedal, if one piston moves block that with a brake pad or piece of wood and pump brake until the other moves) - makes it easier than on the bench if you dont have a compressor or grease gun with an adapter - brake piston pullers are fine if the piston is not seized

As said above good luck I've not done any myself but have seen videos on it and I'm in the same boat with a N/S pistone I've been meaning to have ago myself but not had chance. Well time :( so think I might end up needing to take the blue pill this time :( 

Yeah I was going to just change it all, seems more sensible.

Parked the car up today when I got home, left the hardbrake on and had a look at the brakes and on both sides the pads were against the discs. is that normal? Out of habit I held the brake and clutch when turning car off so is that normal? Probably a silly question but I have been up since before 6 and as a student that means I'm not functioning well.

dipping the clutch on startup is good practice just to remove a little more load on the engine.

I dont know how the hand brake functions on a classic but if it is a cable to a lever on the caliper applying some hydraulic pressure then yes, both pads will be on the disc

The engine running only helps with the servo assist part to make it easier for you pressing the brake pedal, the pads sit on the surface of the disc or !Removed! paper close, when pressure is released after you take your foot off the pedal the pads only move slightly from the discs themselves.

But you should be able to spin the wheel freely when the brakes are not applied, if not the pads could be binding / dragging (possibly due to caliper issues) which builds up heat and wears your pad out

This minimal movement is why you get eventual seizure of the pistons (combined with dirt, heat and brake dust build up)

Ahh that makes sense, I know how brakes work but for some reason in my had always thought that they moved further away from the disc than they do I guess. Not sure why I thought so but oh well. And not bothered about the pads or discs because I already had new ones waiting to be fitted, in fact happy I didn't put them on before this!!

I've always dipped the clutch when I start cars, as well as taking the load of the engine it ensures the gearbox is disengaged from the engine so if it's in gear you won't lurch on starting , handy for bank job getaways :) With the newer cars you have to dip the clutch to start the car,