Tiff Needell and Audi R8 v Forza Motorsport 5

Gambit

There's no doubt the games are getting closer to the real thing, but they always seem to be faster than real life, maybe it's because the game generally uses ideal conditions for the track temp, air temp ect.

As to the feel of the game v car I agree with what they say, although the game does very well creating the illusion of feedback, (even without a force feed back wheel) you will always be that half second behind in reacting to spins etc.

In the game you are relying on visual clues rather than real life seat of the pants feed back. In a real car you can feel the grip starting to give and react. Rather than seeing it go and reacting. However with practice you get to know the limits of the in game car and can set the cars attitude to counter it or negate it, as it's always going to be the same conditions in the game. I find that in the games you tend to drive more on the throttle than you do in real life.

In real life track conditions can change quite a bit with track temp, air temp during a race, not to mention dirt and gravel dragged on to the track makes it a much less consistent environment.

Over all as good as the games are they will never substitute for real life, unless someone builds a holo deck :D

I agree I know when I've been on track days I pushed it and thought I was lucky could have been expensive repair that if I had lost it completely so find I ease off more in a real life. The thought of dying doesn't enter my brain just the cost of repairs   :lol:

And as Jay pointed out I think this test would have been better if they had given him a steering wheel and pedals instead of the controller. But I have found Forza 5 to be as close to real track days on any console. Would love to get the Wheel gear stick and clutch pedal set but at near £500 for it I think I can live without it :D 

never got on with steering wheels, always been much much faster with a controller, you just have to learn how to use it smoothly.

when you're going backwards off the track at over 100mph, you're certainly not laughing and having another swig of your bear, at that point its a fight for survival.

I remember aquaplaning at Curburough sprint circuit and the car slowly rotating at bout 100mph, not fun. in a video game ploughing into the tire wall is funny

I too had to consider repairs as I used to have to drive my car home after racing, usually with a very stinky clutch

I found with the wheel it was a learning curve again because I'd spent that much time using the controller the steering wheel felt alien. but once I'd used it long enough I was finding it enjoyable and was just as quick if not quicker. Forza 5 does feel like it was made to be with the steering wheel the response is that good, and if the wheel is made well to play with the games engine I think it would be better than the controller as long as you can get the seating position spot on anyway. 

but you always look a bit of a knob with you're chair smack in front of the telly with a steering wheel on the table  :D

Not at all Missus doesn't need to see the Tv screen or anyone else for that matter when I'm playing ;)