Gearbox

jorgen

Does it have manual gearbox filter?

Wysłane z mojego GT-I9300 przy użyciu Tapatalka

No, as the gearbox is just splash fed by internal component movement & grooves & small bores get fed oil this way to feed more precise points, there is no proper oil pump system with filtration & due to no combustion gas entering the oil unlike an engine it only has metal swarf that naturally settles to the bottom of the box casing, Good quality magnetic drain plugs are good for retaining some of the debris & sometimes give useful visual indication that a problem may exist by unusual amounts of metal swarf or a large chip or perhaps a small shattered part from a syncro assembly thus giving good indication on faults/severity & required course of action.

• Like 1

Thanks guys.

I have it in for a service tomorrow, so will have a look later in the week when I get the chance. Hope to find out how good (or not) a condition things are in tomorrow. Six weeks in and I'm still loving the car, so hoping my bubble isn't burst tomorrow  :o

Only 2 things I want them to have a look at.....the whine on acceleration (hence my interest in this post) and what can best be described as notchiness on the steering when applying full lock just after start up when pulling away. Hoping this second problem is something as simple as air in the power steering system or fluid just needing replacing.

Other little problem related to engine warning light coming on a couple of times when I've used the heated seats.....goes off again for the next journey, so assuming that they are pulling too much current or something  :unsure:

Thanks guys.

I have it in for a service tomorrow, so will have a look later in the week when I get the chance. Hope to find out how good (or not) a condition things are in tomorrow. Six weeks in and I'm still loving the car, so hoping my bubble isn't burst tomorrow  :o

Only 2 things I want them to have a look at.....the whine on acceleration (hence my interest in this post) and what can best be described as notchiness on the steering when applying full lock just after start up when pulling away. Hoping this second problem is something as simple as air in the power steering system or fluid just needing replacing.

Other little problem related to engine warning light coming on a couple of times when I've used the heated seats.....goes off again for the next journey, so assuming that they are pulling too much current or something  :unsure:

whine on acceleration wouldn't be drive belt would it as if slipping to some small extent can make odd noises (squeals to light whines when accelerated) & could tie in with your power steering feeling sort of on/off notchy when using a lot of lock & this normally worse when cold as extra load on pump (cold oil) causes belt slip more easily then pump pressure drops.

obviously a lot of other possible reasons & without hearing & seeing the car I could be well off track. In terms of transmission the rear diff is most common for whining noises but also wheel bearings & even tyres faults can cause rumbly whines.

If no major faults are found & vehicle has no solid record on last change of all transmission oils & not done at this interim service you would be wise to do it with good quality oil, it is quite simple DIY job should you fancy start doing a few basic bits & save a little money too.

engine light on when used heated seats is a new one on me, worth getting fault codes read or once again learning how to do this yourself is possible & cheap in terms of what required (few threads on this to help) & possibly just monitoring the situation a bit more if nothing conclusive found.

Hope your bubble stays intact, on positive note due to Subarus general reliability most owners of general service interval respected cars don't get to know their local garages on first name terms :-)

I've wondered what the little thing that looked like a skewer was sitting nexf to turbo was, i assumed it was a release fork for somthing i couldn't see. Good job i didn't pull it out without investagating. Can it be filled from underneath if the cars on a lift for access?

Service update...clean bill of health woo hoo; so happy I can't tell you. They've made a small adjustment to the power steering belt which has removed the problem I had there. Road tested it too, with no apparent 'whine' problem diagnosed. Must just have been me worrying about nothing.

Plus they used a higher grade oil than I supplied as I hadn't given them enough oops...but at no extra charge...and then went and gave me a litre bottle for top ups for free too.

I'm well impressed, I tell thee!

Good to here, was hoping was drive belt as I mentioned in post above.

welcome to the lucky Subaru club :-) with a little bit of effort & luck when purchasing a used Subaru you can get a very useful & super reliable thus cheap annual outlay car for quite cheap money really :-D Don't tell everyone though or they'll get harder to find & possibly used prices would go up :-O  ...

yeah erm about that....

we are not too sharp on that as you may have gathered, the only time I have done it is when something looks like it could be a really good discussion and its worth catching the answers in one place or we have had a duplicate run which has been consolidated - I only sussed out how to do it about 3 weeks ago :D

I also realised I was one of the worst for making things go off at a tangent :rolleyes:

lol :-D only downside I see when going of topic is it makes it hard for some people to find answers to questions when searching as they are in unlikely topic threads but hard to cure & at end of day the more discussion & info the better on the whole :-)

lol :-D only downside I see when going of topic is it makes it hard for some people to find answers to questions when searching as they are in unlikely topic threads but hard to cure & at end of day the more discussion & info the better on the whole :-)

completely agree, discussion, engagement actively encouraged - the search engine on here using google is better than other older forum searches I have been on - doesnt do too bad a job with finding the text even if the title is unrelated