running problem

I would just change your plugs 1st coils don't come to cheap. least it eliminates one thing for less money. And Scoobyclinc didn't get the best feedback for advice from a few members on here just ask Ash and Nick on here :(

With the ignition on, but not the engine, you should get all the lights on the dashboard on. Is 'check engine' amongst them.

It has been known for some sellers to remove that bulb, to hide potential problems when selling.

Reason I mention this is that I find it very odd that no codes are stored with the problem you have.

• Like 1

I've always bought NGK iridium tipped spark plugs not cheap but by far the best imo :)

But thinking I might have a change when I swap them soon to Denso just so I can cure my own curiosity.. That never normally ends well though :D

Jay got in before me :D

A cheaper option is to go for the NGK PFR7B cost around £45-£50 a set rather than £40 each. Gap to .7mm

I had a similar issue on my classic and it was the coil packs. The plastic part inside the rubber bit had degraded and crumbled. You can get 2nd hand coils from eBay for around £40 each or £90 a set.

Personally I would go to a reputable breaker like Pete at South East Imprezas 07891129485, I've used him in the past and he does a lot of business with my local club members.

I would take your coil packs off the plugs and check them for damage, replace any that are and replace the plugs anyway.

Well worth the cost and effort to do them all at the same time.

• 2 weeks later...

Got new plugs and that solved the problem .... Unfortunately couple of hours after the engine blew, no compression in all cylinders. Can someone please tell me what engine I need to get? Dno if it's a wrx or a sti how do I check thanks

that I dont know - but if you have the codes from the vin plate it will tell you what was in there originally and you could source one of those - however if the person previously has changed the engine you may then be looking for all the other stuff that has been changed to make it work eg loom, ecu etc chances are it was something that would work with the original setup so start with you r vin and model code

• 2 weeks later...

Thats a version 1 or 2 engine with a phase 1 inlet .

any version 1&2 full engine (with the donor inlet attached) will drop straight in.

Any v3/4 long engine (block and heads) will fit but you'd have to attach your cars inlet and auxiliaries

Cos My 93 to 98 have the same inline stud pattern on the inlets for the inlet manifold.

I have got a v1sti closed deck block long engine for sale running a healthy 347 bhp @ 1.2 bar .It's still in the car at the moment so can be heard running/driven if needs be .

Clive

• Like 1