classic

mgray04

350 - 400 will be pushing past the TMIC capabilities - so you will be looking at FMIC bigger injectors an uprated fuel pump... I rescued this from an old thread that we may have lost in the recent hiccups so unfortunately I cannot credit the member who originally posted it...

Just a bit of weee advice if your planning on running big power and im not trying to put
you off its just ive looked into it , STI internals and closed block are good
for over 450bhp if it has Forged internals, standard cooler is good for 300
maybe more, STI intercooler is good for over 350 but by this
stage most start to Run front mount intercoolers but beware of the lag.

turbo again is down to preference but steer well away from the over priced
billet turbos from Scooby clinic ( which arnt even made by them they are
imported and have there names added) id be looking at Either an Andy forrest
turbo hybrid or get in touch with turbo Dynamics ( good company ) built my
current stage 3 hybrid for fez RS, Bigger injectors and Fuel pump will be
needed as well.

I would and this is purely down to my preference get a multi stage boost controller and

have 3 maps put on it, Race obviously most power, Town some boost, and eco next
to no boost.

Cams performance in Blackburn got this from standard internals

Brian Coward (STi Type UK) 490.6 bhp 407.8 lb/ft

If you check out this months Jap perf car mag there is the RA developments classic which may give some food for thought

http://www.ramotorsport.co.uk/Product/Category/QD20100622015735

- there is also my personal muse the original Gobstopper by RCM

http://www.rogerclarkmotorsport.co.uk/gobstopper/official/index.htm

• Like 2

Most subaru blocks and heads have ## raised marks on (i think they serve as sort of cooling fins)

Only closed deck blocks have them under the alternator near the crank sensor ;-)

If it's running the original engine it will be a open deck but , the uk internals would be the limiting factor I'm afraid. I wouldn't want to push those past 350 hp but that's generally the limit of the drivetrain anyways .

Has the car been remapped already ? If so what ecu/daughter board has it got ?

The standard 97 uk td04 turbo and 380 cc injectors would normally max out at about 300 hp , so I went for a walbro fuel pump (for piece of mind) ,sti tmic and a esl daughter board remap .

Imo 300 hp is plenty in a lightweight classic and if you've still got the standard 2 pot fronts I'd upgrade to at least 4 pots before you aim for much higher horses ;-)

• Like 2

methanol - an alcohol you mix with the petrol to give an improved burn rate - that doesn't need to be the first mod, that is something you get to when you have completed the engine mods and are looking at the mapping, it is then you decide to have it mapped with meth as a consideration or keep it as petrol only

Have you got an oil temperature and oil pressure gauge fitted also a turbo boost pressure guage?

If you are looking at modding your car it is an idea to keep an eye on things, so if you don't have these I would consider them as one of the first things you put in your car

Yes - there are x3 plug models (from 96 onwards I think) and x4 plug models (pre 96) check which yours has before buying some come with base maps installed others are out there with specific maps to the cars they were removed from these may well work on your car when plugged in but I wouldn't risk it as you could end up with the cost of a new engine on your hands against the preventative cost of a decent map.

Before you start bolting things to your car I would suggest you have the car in a good sound starting point - I dont know what mileage your car as done and you don't mention any service history but I would suggest (if this hasn't been done in the last 4 years 15K miles) getting your injectors cleaned, replace the fuel filter, replace the fuel pump - might as well uprate at the same time - new oil filter, decent oil, check / replace air filter, replace the brake fluid, check your brake pads and all pistons are free in the calipers, check the condition of the brake hoses - if original replace with braided items replace the spark plugs.

dependant on what you buy this lot could set you back 3-400 quid but you have a good known starting point for modifications and you have more confidence in the car starting and stopping when it is supposed to