classic

mgray04

Yeah all of that is getting done over the next couple of weeks first :0) is it worth buying a new ecu then? Or just getting the standard one remapped? Surely that'll save you money than buying one then re mapping it

The standard ecu can't be mapped unless you have a esl daughter board fitted which allows you to use open source software (don't need to pay a licence fee) to remap it .

I chose this option for my 97 classic due to it being capable of running duel maps and maffless (scooby maffs are prone to failure) also now have some extra options available at a extra cost

launch control

flat throttle shifting

and (I think) anti lag

Quite cost effective at about £600 supplied fitted and duel mapped (hi /low boost maps).

Apexi are also a great bit of kit but are about £350 second hand + fitting+mapping .

if you intended to aim close to 350 hp I'd consider changing your 380 cc grey injectors for some 440cc yellows(about £40 second hand) as their good for about 350 max and fit them the day before you map , you'll also need some phase adapters as the yellows are phase 2 side feeds and your 97 version 3 will be phase 1.5 side feeds (mark @ lateral performance sell the adapters and offer a injector cleaning service)

I'd also echo jay with doing a service and check that the cam belt is in good order before squeezing more power out of it .

• Like 1

I think v5/v6 (my 99/ 00) can be mapped by ecutek (licenced software) same as newage

V3/v4 (my 97/98) had a different code to other ecu's as the earlier we're esl capable and the later were ecutek capable . It only got decoded a couple of years ago to run the esl software .

fitting is usually for the full apexi set up, boost controller,boost solenoid, and map sensor but you won't buy the full set up for £350 anyways .

• Like 1