Hello, and looking to buy my first Subaru :)

ChrisValentine

Just got a reply from the garage.

Dear chrisrvalentine88,

Hi Chris, You have to understand with these cars that it is very rare to get service history especially with the Jap import ones. I have no idea when it was modified. Regarding re map car runs 100% and if it had not been re mapped, it wouldn't. No idea of last service but we will do that and change the cam belt if we can not find evidence of when it was done. Regarding your other questions, we would not sell a car unless it was 100% right. Can not guarantee miles but generally the Jap imports have less miles than UK because the Japanese cover a lot less annual mileage compared to uk drivers. We have been selling and working on Subarus for many years, and do know what they are about. Incidentally, the Cataluña in black would be cheaper to insure because it is a UK car
Regards
Roger

- tbm-int
Reply in your email program or through My Messages s.gifbtnRespondNow.gif

To: tbm-int
Subject: Re: chrisrvalentine88 has sent a question about item #221610551211, ending on 29-Nov-14 18:11:05 GMT - SUBARU IMPREZA turbo JDM 
Sent date: 21-Nov-14 16:24:58 GMT

Dear tbm-int,

Hi, I've had some time to think, so I have some more questions about it.
Has the car been mapped since it's had the engine mods? How long has it had the engine mods when / if it hasn't been mapped?
Does it have full service history (any service history / what intervals)? When was the last service? Do you have all the documents and receipts for the parts and labour. When was the oil, filter and cam-belt last changed?
Any piston slap when it's cold? No knocking? No fluctuating idle? Any clutch judder when it's cold?
Does the exhaust still has the CAT for MOT?
If I decide to go ahead and ask you to replace the parts for standard, are they genuine Subaru parts?
Is it 105,000 genuine miles? As the seats and steering wheel looks very worn.
Is there plenty of thread left on the tyres?
As it's an import, do you have a picture of the underneath of the car as it probably isn't undersealed?

Sorry for all the questions, I just want to know 100% what I'm buying.

ThankYou again. If I could leave positive feedback for just the replies and customer service, I would.

Chris,

Gotta remember it's nearly 20 year old so it's not gonna be mint

That's a really good point. You do need to look over it with that in mind....and if I were you I'd keep £500-£1k for any incidentals....you probably won't need all of it but if you have that in reserve you won't be disappointed you bought a 20 year old car and something's gone wrong with it :)

• Like 1

I've had a few classics , I always change the belt and pulleys !

The rads leak so need to check its good as you don't want it overheating

Clutch / crunchy box is normal but I prefer to avoid them

Diff whine is annoying

Oil leaks around the rocket covers will give a burnt oil smell not a major job tho

Mines deep mica blue,

Looks like a sonic blue! only way to tell is get the paint code off the vin plate !

Looks how my first one started out! If you need to upgrade the brakes then you need to fit spacers to clear 4 pots (that will have 2 pots as standard on the front)

Yeah I'll check that on Saturday :)
The Subaru I'm going to see has full service history from a Subaru Agent, including the purchase invoice from when and where they bought it (he's been the only owner).
It's done 75k miles as it's been in storage for two years... And it's had new tyres put on that have less than 100 miles on it.

He's also going to get it MOT'd before I get it :)

I'm writing down all the help and questions people have offered on here, so I'm going to make sure to ask him everything. I've messaged him asking him not to start the car because we want to check it over when cold. The person I'm going with knows a fair bit about cars too. I'll keep you lot updated tomorrow!

Then I shall start a "Project" thread!