Not running properly.

Pommy

Have a turbo 2000 that isn't running properly. As soon as on boost the power isn't coming smoothly but is jerky. And the power isn't as high as it should be. When revved freely without load everything sounds ok and the turbo sounds like normal. Have fixed the front calipers from sticking. So what else can it be? And any candidates more likely than the other? Will running it on 95 Ron have this affect? And maybe a service? It something more severe?

Yeah a service and new plugs will definitely help but sounds like a boost problem, id check all the hoses, make sure nothings leaking or come off, especially between the boost solenoid and wastegate actuator. maybe clean the solenoid out.

Never done any work with anything turbo related before. Can someone tell me exactly where te pipes and hoses are and the solenoid and how to clean it?

Would search myself but at work and not really meant to be on here...

Thanks

Had a look today after work. A hose that connects just to the bottom left of intercooler is loose (If looking from above) Pushed it back on and it seemed better, then halfway home it started again, Checked when I got home and µe hose had come lose again and leaked some liquid. What is this hose? Also seems perished at end so will be replacing it I think, Took a photo bat photo bucket isn't Working at the moment and am only on tablet at the moment.

I think the boost solenoid is in front of the offside strut. is the hose your on about underneath the intercooler at the bottom left? if so it could be the 90degree elbow hose that connects the turbo to the intercooler, definitely doesn't wanna be loose.

The picture is sideways, but it is the hose going from just by the yellow cap to the turbo. I have put a new clip on it and revved and it hasn't loosened but I haven't been for a drive. Could that be the cause?

Thanks

That pipe from the header tank to turbo is for turbo coolant and shouldn't cause a misfire , worst case you might have air in the system .

Usual culprits are as matt listed ;-)

Do you have a boost gauge if so what does it read and does it fluctuate ?

I wouldn't run 95 ron should be 97 ron at least ,next time you put some juice in (nearly empty) try some 99 ron see if you can feel a difference

• Like 1

Don't have a boost guage at the moment so not sure about that. Would any of them kick up an error code? Was planning on doing a service next Sunday because I have it off work but might try and get it done on Tuesday. Don't have leads as they look newish but will get new ones if the service doesn't fix it.

Well I have finally got to the bottom of this, finally got the plugs out today (some hassle involved) and two of them were gone, the pointy bit opposite the ground electrode was completely flat on two of them, so not good. All is working on the test drive which was a nice change. Also the first time I have driven without music or a passenger and a working car and the subtle sound of the turbo is lovely. Thanks for all the help as ever:)

• Like 2

Much easier once you have the correct tools. Only little hitch was after finished the plugs, looked around to check everything was back together, shut the bonnet, got changed out of dirty clothes for the test drive, came down started engine and it was misfiring. Cue mild panic, changing back to dirty clothes, thinking about which plug I messed up. Opened bonnet, and woops forgot to re connect the maf!!! Clipped it back in and acted like nothing had happened!!

• Like 2