Moving from Forest 2.0X to 2.5XT. Will it still be good on the farm?

nick hay

Hello everyone,

I currently have a 2005 Forester 2.0x. I love the car, so i'm looking to upgrade to a 2.5xt for the extra oomph while i can still get a nice late model with low mileage.

I use the car for driving (mostly countryside, but often commuting) and on our (very modest farm). 

My question is that given the 2.5xt necessarily sits a bit lower, lower profile tyres etc am i going to see a significant diminishment in the capabilities that make it a good car on the farm; ability to go over bumps, ruts and through puddles etc. Or is there some way to square the circle and get a car that's really quick on the road, and still sits high for farm work - adjustable shocks perhaps?

Thank you.

You don't think the fact the car sits lower is an issue? One of the best things about the 2.0x is it sits high so you can always be pretty sure heading into a rut (or going over a kerb for that matter) that you won't ground it. You think that's true of the 2.5xt then? (nice photo btw)

I've seen plenty of people off roading with the XT for it not to worry me or going through massive water splashes. I've not looked but I'm sure someone will have recorded themselves on youtube if you have a look. depends if you're thinking about driving over massive boulders and peaks :D

Hi Gambit, Bitman, David, thanks for infor Won't be driving it over boulders, mostly driving over rough grass fields and mud on the farm, and kerbs and speedbumps on the road. SO what i'm hearing is that all that should be ok.

great video, thanks very much. I won't be doing anything near that kind of stuff, so no worries. Thanks for taking the time to help me on this question, now i just have to find the right vehicle, but 2.5xt it is.