dump valve

dezmond_vr6

quick question does having a dump valve actually do good for the car by releasing back preasure? or is it a bad thing to have one? also do u have to have anything set up one fitting them?

i understand i might sound stupid but honestly im very new to all this

cheers guys

The idea is meant to increase the life of the turbo but I've not seen any evidence to prove either way so I agree with matt doesn't really do anything other than make a noise when changing gear. I have one and know many many others that do so depends if you like them really. 

yea i love the sound and want one. i was just told that is u put one on u need to have fuel pump uprated or other things setting up properly same with exhausts and other stuff. i was hoping i could just put dump valve on and in time change exhaust either de cat all the way back or leave the cat and do resinator back. without having to set anything up as im running the prodrive performance package. iv been told they can go bang without getting set up after changing things.

echo Gambit there - sounds like you have received some inaccurate info there - bolting on a DV is straight forward no need for any remaps or additional upgrades - there have been comments in the past about the cars not running as well with them on but that has been going from a standard recirc valve to an external vent, when reverted they were fine.

I have never had any issues with fitting dump valves and they have always resulted in smoother gear changes

• 2 months later...

I got the cheap trumpet one off eBay lol

Well loud seemed ok to be fair not bad quality .. ,mrs thinks it sounds like a bus ,you know when they stop at the bus stop lol lol so I took it off lol lol so when I went past bus stop,s I made the sound on purpose to see if I could get the oap,s to get ready to get on the bus ha ha ha lol ,couldn't get that bus lorry thing out my head lol ,it's going back on for japshpw though lol,