new member owned for 2yrs big problems

kevro5s

Hi I've owned my sports wagon for 2 yes it recently developed an intermittent issue where it would.drop power and run lumpy then run.fine again and so on I changed plugs and leads also done belts and pulleys. So originally I.thought it was the cats cause when it would do.this the cats would.heat up.to the point of glowing red. I changed them and the O2 sensor and the problem is still there I'm not getting any codes from the test leads or my obd2 cheapo reader anyone got.any ideas and sorry for.the punctuation not.the.best of phones to use

Been told if crank sensor it wouldn't start and it runs fine at first generally also maf I can't find its 2.0 sport n/a and it's definitely not on the plastic.air intake before filter would.it be after also could.it be ignition coil breaking down

That's my engine bay and if you can see it's just got a plastic intake no sensors all the way up to the filter I appreciate all.your help guys really do

post-2279-0-64501500-1396983749_thumb.jp

Maf should be after the airfilter box but can't see one :( 

Scooby Petes said what I would have said with the problems. I'd also check for any split cracked damaged pipes. spray some water around the air intake bits after it's warmed up and started to idle and run lumpy. I would say it's got a split pipe so would be 1st thing I would check :) 

And welcome to S.O.C 

• Like 1

Cheers gambit going to have a go over it tomoro il check all pipes and intakes hopefully il find something I need to check cat again since it was glowing red I'm trying to get another ignition coil but gotta be on the cheap she's bled me dry nearly already but il keep trying

• Like 1

Thats the most important part to keep trying :)

Well hope it helps I know we have a few problems like this come on and everyone has the same symptoms but end up being a different faults  :( so become a process of elimination I just like the cheaper options :D

Cheaper options would be great but it's am impreza and I'm finding most things aren't cheap or easy to track down but it's a great car to drive even with the auto box :-/

Hi and welcome to soc ,sorry to hear you've got problems

due to the cat glowing I'd suggest checking the cat isn't collapsing blocking the exhaust system when hot . Or fuelling ( ie fuel filter/pump/regulator ) as a lack of fuel would cause a hotter combustion .

Have you reset the ecu or disconnected the earth to clear faults after trying new parts ?

Best of luck keep us posted ;-)

I'm thinking O2 sensor, otherwise known as lambda. They have two circuits. If one circuit goes down it can produce the symptoms you describe. It only throws an ecu code if both circuits go down.

Having said that, I would check the MAF sensor first. Once you find it you can check it by pulling the plug off with the engine running. If the engine tries to stall or does stall, the MAF is good. If there is no change, it is faulty.

• Like 1

Nope have changed them Ur correct gambit and yes recet ecu a few times now runs better once reset but not long before goes spastic low power and gargles

Once I find the elusive little bugger I will tlag it's got a new o2 sensor it's not original subaru one due to lack of funds but it is compatible apparently :-/

Well spotted gambit , I just read he'd changed the o2 sensor :-)

If the cat still glows though it surely must be running hot (lean) , the timings out (so it ignites fuel when the exhaust valve is open) or it's a intermittent spark failure causing unburnt fuel to ignite in the exhaust /cat .

Can't think why else the cat would get hot ....

if the cats not hot I'd ignore my ramblings and check the maff / coil pack like they said lol .

• Like 1

Thats true I didn't think to ask if it did still glow to be fair was reading the other comment ;) 

I would agree if it's still glowing like Savage said it's definitely fuel passing. And thanks to everyone helping I would just like to add it is appreciated just don't always get chance to point that out :) 

No really is a great help I'm no mechanic but can get around the engine ok ish if it's intermittent spark that could be coil pack and it smells like.it's running rich fuel smell so that would mean pumps pumping away?

I'd say pump was working fine otherwise you would get more of a cutting out issue or not starting if thats what you mean :) So might be the sparks or coil packs. I think savage is saying.

what about fuel filter / fuel lines / fuel connections? may be a small leak? engine sucking air in the fuel line? vacuum lines leaking?

have a look what Eric tells about this;

just me thinking out loud

(not sure why i can't post a youtube video...)

• Like 1

Thanks for the info watched the video and yes could've possibility but would.it run fine when first.run also no whistling I'm gonna have to check.the fuel pressure and what not wasn't well yesterday so about to have a poke around today lads once agaim thanks for your help il post a video if it'll do it whilst I'm out there