ECU replacement

This maybe a really daft question so bear with me, 

if i got hold of an ecu which has been mapped already and replaced mine with it would this be ok? I'm guessing each map is specific to each car so just wondered if anybody has done this before.

The one i have seen lists the mods which the car had before it was removed, if i matched the mods would it be a straight swap over or would there be problems? 

Technically yes it would work but .........

No !!

You would need pretty much cars to be identical in terms of running ability then the temperature of the day needs to be the same all factors in

Take it you want to buy a ecutek unit with the license already on it ?

just something i saw on eBay earlier, was't looking to do it exactly just wondered if it was possbile.

it is a ecutek with licence on yes, just seemed a cheaper option but if its no good will prob cost more in long run ha

the car it was on had decat, upgrade fuel pump, upgraded air filter and also fuel injectors, alegedly running 276bhp with print out.

Like you say maps are done specific to suit each cars needs etc. just so expensive to do but guess its worth it.

As for the locks Ive read both stories about the locks so thats also unclear.

As said above I wouldn't without some upgrades to match.

I know I was surprised when a member came on here a couple of years back when the club was a baby and said he had just swapped the ecu over with a prodrive I honestly didn't think it would have worked but said it runs fine. Didn't see him again after that so not sure what happened after running it over a period of time. 

so i found that when i added a ppp ECU to my classic it didnt run right, it had more boost and felt faster however, my air filter was different to what was mapped , my pistons where different and i ran on Shell where he did bp, as such get it but tbh it ended up costing the same in the end once i had it remapped.

what sort of prices did you guys pay for maps if you dont mind me asking, I've heard people saying £190 and some saying £3-400. Just wondered what i should be paying when i eventually save some money  :)

Nope that's normally

250 for the license

Then 250 for map

If you purchased a license ecu and take it to a mapper who didn't do it they will have to write a map from scratch for your car so budget 200-350 to map it

Your talking different cars mate , anyone can map a vag they are so generic it's unreal it's not really a remap they just load different settings

One my mates done it with no experience

Subaru is more delicate and your limited to the ecu choice if the unit could be generically mapped it would be cheaper but your getting a map for that car

also remember cheaper maps are usually by !Removed! mappers, and is it worth saving 200 to then pay a grand +, ill upload pics of my close deck block tomorrow where the last kid cut corners :s

also remember cheaper maps are usually by !Removed! mappers, and is it worth saving 200 to then pay a grand +, ill upload pics of my close deck block tomorrow where the last kid cut corners :s

Yep exactly

there is a quote hanging around the web

there is not such thing as a bad engine tune but there is such a thing as a bad map

to expand on that - you could drop 10k on the dogs danglies engine full forged etc but you stick a map on it that does not suit and it will go pop.

do any mods on your own engine as you go that you would like to do but match your ECU along with it, that way your investment is more likely to get the results you want - best not to try and take shortcuts for the sake of £500.

tell you what though £800 will get you a peachy engine from Savage, match the ECU to that and you will be in a happy place

• 2 weeks later...

Is yours a turbo 2000 hilli ? Email duncan at race dynamics or simon at jolly green, or gr in rotherham (ash says good things) to get some more info and costings

Could go maff less which would save you some pennies and go towards the various bits you need ,

Sent from my SM-T210

That ecutek'd ecu might make things a bit cheaper , if it's got the license with it as all a mappers got to do is plug in and map .

as for the price variations it depends on how long the mapping takes ie

just a simple tweek changing to decat or just upping the boost on a standard car might only set you back £150 (+ licence)

Changing injector sizes ,upping fuel pressure , new turbo or new engine (Where as a full base map and tweek would be needed) could set you back £200 +

I'd email a few reputable mappers and ask them about costing and choices as most will travel to you (for a road map) or a rolling road of your choice (costs a bit more but you'd get a power, afr , boost and torque graph )