Wrong brake fluid??

Marc3007

Hi guys, bit of advice please, while i was away with work recently my dad decided that my car could do with the brakes bleeding and topping up with brake fluid, great i thought until i realised he'd put dot 4 in it and not dot 3 and mixed them together. Is this going to be a major issue does anyone know? Ive searched google and there doesn't seem to be an issue as apparently there pretty compatible but just want to make sure theres not a specific suabaru problem? 

I have heard it can eat in to your rubber seals and hoses but not sure how true that is. Maybe just more scare mongering than truth but I would drain them all again and re do it if you are concerned. I do only use 5.1 myself though. But I would say you will be fine but doubt the life of it would last as long with it being old stuff mixed with new.

Dot 4 is a repalcment for dot 3 which isn't widely available these days, it's made up of the same stuff if I remember correctly,

It's dot5 and 5.1 you cant mix [emoji3]

Sent from my SM-T210 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply guys, I've drained it and filled completely with dot 4 just to be safe as it seems they only sell dot 4 where i am lol, can i put dot 5 or 5.1 in with stock brakes and brake lines? 

• Like 1

Never mix dot 5 with any of the others it's silicone based and destroy everything !

The others can be used together but it's advisable to drain completely if your using more than a little bit to top off.

Th others are glycol based if I remember hence why it strips paint.

The main difference between the different dot's is the dry and wet boiling points. Dot 5.1 being the higest and best for fast & heavy repetitive braking

• Like 1

Undo lines from the calipers ome at a time , pump pedal, obviously have a container to catch the fluid that comes out l. Then suck out anything thats left in the reservoir with a turkey baster or suction gun. When you refill the system and bleed the brakes it will clear the resg of the old stuff out

• Like 1

All great advice above - cant stress enough dot 5.1 good  - dot 5 bad (seals swell calipers seize etc etc ) (unless you have a race car and have specific seals suited to dot 5)