New 2015 Sti leaking from rear-diff.....

thehulkster699

Yeah it looks like this is another 'known issue' with this STI... A quick search on the other forums (those who must not be named) shows a lot of owners complaining about this over in the US. The fit & finish build quality on this car leaves something to be desired!

Have you got a link to that US site where this is being talked about please buddy?

And yes - I'm really disappointed on the build quality of the sti. Passenger door vibration is also getting looked at for the 2nd time on the 31st as well. I'm hoping the fuel filler problem can be fixed without needing to take it back in again after the 31st.

Well my car has come back from the dealer for the 4th time & the oil leak is coming from the breather at the top of the diff. Subaru are working on a modification & will be sending the mod kit to the dealer in the next few weeks. Regarding the fuel filler cap, mine doesn't open either, again their is a mod subaru are working on & should be at the dealer soon. Until then i have to just put up with it...

• Like 1

Have you got a link to that US site where this is being talked about please buddy?

Sure man... It's here: http://www.iwsti.com/forums/2015-sti-discussion/271395-fuel-door-wont-open.html

Having a browse through those forums really highlights all the issues that are appearing, there's a thread on there about leaking rear diff too.

Cheers buddy.

Sorry to say, baring in mind I'm on a Subaru forum and trying not to cause offence............wish I'd kept my money in the bank and hung onto my Focus RS.

I'm slowly trying to get to grips with this sti. I prefer moving the power slightly to the front with a push of the + button. Seems to feel safer in the wet weather to me like this. Still doesn't feel as composed as the RS. The torque is nowhere on the Subaru. I have to leave her in 4th or 5th to keep momentum going, but I feel like I'm wringing the car to get any sense of speed. Whereas in the RS the power was there even in 6th at 50/60 mph.

Cheers buddy.

Sorry to say, baring in mind I'm on a Subaru forum and trying not to cause offence............wish I'd kept my money in the bank and hung onto my Focus RS.

No worries, I'm almost with you. A couple of times since I've got this thing, I've weighed up my options in swapping it in. It's a really hard thing to describe, i do love the car... and it's by far and away the best car I've ever had. I've been a scooby fan for years, but there are just so many compromises on the car, and you really do have to rev the b****ks off it to get the speed and power you expect.

Maybe we're expecting too much?

Well, I'm going to get flamed for this........

But I'm getting my (old) RS back on Saturday. It's been an expensive 6 month test drive of the Sti, but come Saturday I'll have the RS back home with a cheque to put some money back into my poor bank account.

Luckily, my RS was not sold (probably because the dealer tried to get too much money for it) but now I've seized the chance and done a deal to get her back.

Can't wait. Sorry guys.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I'm going to get flamed for this........

But I'm getting my (old) RS back on Saturday.

Can't wait. Sorry guys.

not on this forum - you guys have all invested in something new - there will be hiccups, the RS has had years of development behind it so there is no point in hanging on to something that you are not enjoying going back to what you know is good is a no brainer.

what I do like to see in these situations is the dealer support / response and it all sounds very positive where the issues have been presented to them

As Jay has said if you're not getting on with it no point keeping it to maybe regret it later on. I've always looked at the 1st batch of cars at test cars so they can see the problems after they get driven.

• 1 month later...

Just been out to check. No leaks thank god only done 900 miles so fingers crossed petrol cap on mine won't open had to put phone under lever and prise open with finger to fill up .looked a bit of a prat in garage

Saying that 4th sti and best I've had out off the box

• Like 1

No plastic I've spray wd40 all around it still don't open first time but just enough to get finger on edge to flick open .will live with it for now point it out when in for first service!

Contact them before your 1st service as there is a known fix for this common problem. That way your dealer can order the parts ready for you when you go in, rather than you having to take your car back again.

I just used to wedge a cardboard parking disc into the gap round then petrol filler cap, THEN pull the release lever. This will open the cap ok. Try it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well my car has come back from the dealer for the 4th time & the oil leak is coming from the breather at the top of the diff. Subaru are working on a modification & will be sending the mod kit to the dealer in the next few weeks. Regarding the fuel filler cap, mine doesn't open either, again their is a mod subaru are working on & should be at the dealer soon. Until then i have to just put up with it...

Please keep us updated. What is going on? Did they sort the leaking out? If yes, how? Is this a known factory fault by now?

I am asking this because my mate just ordered an STI and we want to avoid any nasty surprise :)

Thank you in advance!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Sorry to revive an old post... Mines just started doing the petrol fillet cap jamming thing... Brilliant! Anyone want to buy it off me?

When did you buy it? Before June or it is a fresh one?