New 2015 Sti leaking from rear-diff.....

thehulkster699

The upper plug on the diff is the fill plug.  Removing it and sticking your finger in is the only way of checking the level.  If theres still oil in there 30 miles shouldn't be a problem.  I'd wait for the dealers advice though

I wouldn't open it mate any excuse for a dealer to wriggle out of a problem and they will. Call them up tell them it's leaking and you want the car recovered at at their expense. After all you've just shelled out the thick end of 25k. these things happen on new models, but why take the risk of invalidating a warranty

• Like 1

Update: phoned Derek Slacks this morning, emailed my pic of the diff and they said bring it down ASAP.

Got there this afternoon, and after an hour or so they have ordered some new seal. The leak is small, there is no risk to the diff being damaged. They will contact me when it's come in and they said they will keep my car a few hours.

On a bonus note...the godawful vibration in the passenger door from new is now gone. I mentioned it when I arrived and they have whipped the door card off and sorted the noise out. Result.

Well done Slacks.

• Like 1

Oh damn... Just looked under mine and there's what can only be described as green 'goop' on the underside of the diff... It's not visible dripping though, does that mean it's leaking? I have no idea of the consistency of the oil that's meant to be in there?

Oh okay, that makes me feel a bit better then! Thanks! There's definitely no drips and no oil spots on the drive. I'm guessing I probably shouldn't have just put a massive finger smudge in the waxy protection then!! :( I'll just ask them to take a look over it when I drop it in next week I think!

• 1 month later...

Has anyone seen anymore evidence of this, I'm only 2 1/2 weeks in but already up to 1600 miles. I've been keeping an eye on it but hoping that the late build date of my car will mean it might have been resolved in the build process.

Fingers remain crossed.

Phil

For what it's worth, I had the garage give it a good check over when I took it in... There was no evidence of a leak, what I was seeing was just the waxy protection that's applied to the underside of the car. So it doesn't appear to be happening to all of them. I'm at just over 2k miles now.

• Like 1

FFS. My petrol cap cover won't open now. It's not springing open.

Could have been a major problem as I was on the fuel warning light nowhere near home.

I had to get someone in the petrol station to pull the release lever in the driver footwell, while I carefully used the thin cardboard parking clock/disc to prise it open carefully without scratching any paintwork. Another job to be done on the 31st.