Engine Repairing...

Right, I will likely have to remove the engine from my car soon :(

I had a quick look, and it looks a relatively straight forward removal!

Right, presuming the head gasket is the reason for misfires etc, I will replace both head gaskets, and since the timing belt will be disturbed I will replace that as well.....

BUT, I can't see the engine will suddenly gain 20psi+ compression...

So, is it worth just chucking new head gaskets on, or should I dig deeper?

if you are going as far as removing the head get them skimmed before replacement but also check pistons and liners whilst you are digging but to be honest if you are going as far as removing the engine and the heads I would do a full strip down and rebuild checking rings bearings, crank etc but that is just me as you will have done most of the work removing the heads its not much more to split the cases

Get a coolant sniff test done if they find hydrocarbons in the coolant it's definitely gone

Did you check that it's not slipped a cam tooth on the bank that's got low on compression .

Are you getting any "blow by" ?gasses passing the pistons Pressurising the sump. You'd get a excessive "puff" when removing oil filler cap/dipstick if this was the case .

Right, pretty sure its head gasket failed.

Signs of water vapour in exhaust, coolant level has dropped a bit, and it smells of exhaust fumes.

So, opinions on best course of action?

Replace the head gaskets? considering the engine only tested 120~125psi on the cylinders that dont seem to have a head gasket problem?

Or get another running engine?

Get a sniff test done first. It will confirm the head gasket diagnosis.

To start with though, top the coolant up as normal. Drive the car until normal temperature is reached. Then pull over, lift the bonnet and pull the yellow lid off the expansion tank bottle( the one fixed to the rad).

What you should see, is the coolant at the 'hot' level (marker on outside of bottle) and a small amount of bubbles.

If the level of coolant is significantly higher and bubbling lots/frothy, the head gaskets have gone.