Engine help, video included

donnylad

So I have just gone to bring my car hom from work, its a short 6 mile trip. i pootled along to the Shell garage and filled up with v power.

then drove steadily home at 30-40mph, came to a small part and accelerated in 3rd a little, maybe upto 50-55mph, not hard though, like slowly through the revs, prob 3k rpm ish maybe 3.5?

Then engine started making a big flapping noise, immediatly slowed down, pulled over thinking the worst. couldnt see anything mate reckons it could be exhaust, im thinking engines knackered. I drove home then at 15mph ish in 2nd / 3rd gear and parked up outside.

Cant see anything loose or that stands out.

any help please i havnt a clue!

on tickover theres hardly any noise, its when u rev its gets louder, my mate thinks the exhaust is knackered.

is there any local people or even companies who are local to doncaster who might come out? I dont fancy traveling miles in it like this.

Sorry headers means exhaust manifold, it sounds like its blowing where it meets the cylinder head, also check your spark plugs are tight.. if you have swapped plugs recently one may not be tightened up enough. 

First test jack the car up, put it on stands, handbrake on out of gear and start it up, have a look and hear by the manifold, if it is not there try the plugs.

Your to far away for me to pop up and check for you

ok thanks will try this tomorrow.

apart from 1-2 little runs the car hasnt been run in 10 months, maybe I should of dropped the oil etc before even moving it :(

Will post another video tomorrow in the daylight and rev it a little harder so you can hear the noise better, obviously not revs its guts of tho.

thanks for your help :)

If it sounds like air escaping, you should be able to move your hand around the sides and listen for a change in noise to point you in the right direction. Sitting next to a compressor at work at the moment, couldn't really hear the vid that well :(

Sent from my iphone using Tapatalk

just been out and got my hand under with the engine running, I can feel a small blow on tick over coming from around some pipes, I didnt test if I got any extra when revving due to being on my own. I will get the mrs to rev is slightly later for me.

This is where the blow was from.

Another video of the noise:

Think its worth me taking it to someone with ramps? I live on a busy street with no drive, other option is I drive it 6 miles back to work then look at it!

IMG_3591.JPG

IMG_3592.JPG

Def sounds exhaust related to me - when you get your lass to rev it watch your hand as those gases get hot, I learnt the hard way finding a blown head to manifold gasket on a 200sx. :bangin:

As mentioned previously check the plugs are in place - but if the air movement is up close to the nuts on the manifold it will be gasket or manifold  

yeh sounds like a blown gasket... not overly difficult to change them! Get genuine ones from ICP... cheaper aftermarket ones won't last!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Cylinder-Head-To-Header-Gaskets-14038AA000-Fits-Subaru-Impreza-92-15-/350422824617?fits=Model%3AImpreza&hash=item5196d3f6a9:g:LRoAAOxyI5VSMzbM

Wear long sleeves if you think you are going to touch / cut that heat wrap, the strands get soooo itchy!

You might find the noise is louder if you listen from underneath at an angle where the plastic under guard isn't in the way. Sometimes I find just putting your hand in line of sight is enough to change the noise without getting close to it, it'll sound like it's coming from another room.

Could maybe try holding something like a straw to avoid burns, feel for vibrations but never tried it.

This picture is for the start of your journey :D

8956c2cdcf2a37d8f9d01bb5a8d8eb60.jpg

Sent from my iphone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

1 hour ago, donnylad said:

hole the size of a 1 pence piece in the bottom of the header, its rusted through :/

Going to look for an after market one now, pref second hand!

At least it wasn't your bottom end that went!

Good excuse to go to some tubular headers! or get a set of standard headers for pennies :D

meh wish i read this earlier, was in such a rush I bought a standard one for 65 quid and will be here tomorrow. I had a quick eBay and SS tubular ones where 250+ and I just cant afford to spend that right now really.

Next thing I need to do is change the front wheel studs, or change my wheels as they are fouling on the breaks, prodrive P1 and brembos dont match!

Thanks for all help guys really appreciated!