Bug or Blob..?

Dempsey

I know this is going to all be personal preference but what are peoples favourites?

I have always preferred the look of the blobeye and would love to own one but I have now booked an appointment to go and see a bugeye sti on Saturday (don't normally go for them from front) but this one somehow looks a little different and has really grabbed me.

Obviously all depends how the car is but may end up with a scoob I always said I wouldn't own.

Anyway other than looks are there any big differences between the two and is one a better option than the other at all?

Any views, opinions and suggestions welcomed :)

The bug I have found I believe has the full prodrive setup. It's got different lights, slightly different grille and surround and then the fog lamp covers are like the blobeye winglet styled covers with vents front and rear.

Just improves the front end quite a bit imo.

Still prefer he blobeye but if things fail on the one I put in the other listing then this one looks like a good one to go and view.

Other than looks then are they the same? I mean more engine/ power wise?

Yea power wise much the same. Around 260 bhp I think for WRX PPP

Just about everything is the same I believe, certainly looks the same inside.

I wouldn't value PPP too much though. A upgraded airfilter and back box + remap will get a WRX to around 270...and that's on a dyno as opposed to a brochure guessed figure for PPP.

there's not much difference in the power output / performance between the bug sti and 2ltr blobeye sti

they both have a stronger 6 speed gearbox and r180 hub/ brake set up too ,I'm unsure what models have dccd though.

Jdm versions will have shorter gearbox ratio's and some of the later jdm blob sti's have equal length headers (no burble) and possibly better pistons/rods .

with the right wheels and detangoed lights I like most things scooby [emoji4]

• Like 1

Haha, yes they do actually look like some relative of the neon and corolla. Hadn't thought about the Scorpio but again some similarities :)

I am viewing both cars this weekend, the blobeye tomorrow and the bugeye on Sunday and both have been hpi'd with very interesting results. I've been told power wise the bug is 305 as is the prodrive and the sti is 265 as a stock version.

We shall see how they compare over the next couple of days but costs wise the bug is also winking as cheaper to buy and insure. Still I will fall for one of them so will have to see.

I thought this topic would have a varied response :D

It definitely is a marmite version isn't it :)

At the end of the day it's down to the overall car package for me I think so depending on which I feel is best will be the one (hopefully) to end up on my driveway :D :D

Well now, that would be telling wouldn't it lol :D

No after looking at them more I realised being that it's almost a 200 mile round trip and that they are as I've now found out only 1.5 miles away from each other that I will be going tomorrow as they can both see me then.

Only one could do a viewing today but after I explained the situation and that I would like to have a back to back comparison he was more than underatanding and said was fine.

So it's D day time tomorrow at 12.30 for the first and then the other shortly afterwards. So by 4 pm I could be coming home in my new toy.!!!!!! Whoop whoop :D

Very true. Been a long time coming and tonight is going sooooo slow already. At least had a busy (ish) afternoon keeping me occupied. Had to go get our rats a new cage and some extra bits and bobs the children had seen for them and have just fitted my HID's to my work beast (didn't think it actually had headlights they were that poor) which is a huge improvement.

However I'm now twiddling my fingers and already looking at possible mods for the possible purchase. I know they have mixed reviews but am looking into a d/v as really love them on the Scoobs. Other than that will prob leave reasonably alone over the next couple of months and in March start spending more on exhausts and so on.

Still suppose if best get the car first lol.

Just need to keep telling myself if neither are the right one or don't get that gut feeling to walk away as another one will come up.

• Like 1

Well I would've always previously gone for the blobeye as I have always loved them but this bugeye in particular is certainly keeping me interested.

It's also had only 1 keeper from new and has low mileage all backed up via hpi.

The bug is also cheaper so that's slightly more appealing but it will all come down to which car grabs me most when there I think.

I know it's going to be a toughie though :(