From TD04 to TD05 do I need to change anything? :P

Martin959

Hi Guys!

I was thinking about changing the turbo for a TD05, not big deal nor the biggest upgrade, but some guys from Berkshire Subaru Owners told me that I will need to do a full remap and so on... its a must? do I have to change anything else too? 

Thanks!!!!

Depends on what year your car is, classic up to 99 can't be mapped directly you need a piggyback ecu or a daughter board. Which typically sets you back around 300 plus in then needs to be mapped at around another 250-350

My99 and above can be mapped by reflashing the ecu, but you have to pay for a licence and then mapping time, so around 500-600

Check to see what colour your injectors are, if they are yellow you won't need to change them 5o accommodate the new turbo

• Like 1

Think martins scoob is a v3/v4 (97/98) in which case the turbo in the link will need to be converted to front entry and won't be a direct fit [emoji6]

As for swapping for a bigger turbo without mapping ....

I'd get it mapped as the original map fueling will be set up for the smaller tdo4 .

It might run and drive ok unmapped but for how long I couldn't tell you .

If it's remapped you'll see much more power ,extra 0.6 bar of boost and peace of mind that its running right

• Like 1

The other thing is im on 440cc injectors and originaly I had a tf035 turbo.I then went to a tdo4 with a full decat set up and had it checked on the rolling road by Andy car and it checked out fine with no adjustments to it.He said it ran a little rich on boost but nothing to worry about.So maybe this Guy could be ok with a Td05 im fitting mine at weekend

Yeah if it's got greys they wont be able to flow enough for a mapped tdo5 (up to 1.4 bar) but the v1 wrx's and sti's ran greys and a tdo5 as standard . We got a safely mapped 292 hp out of it mine before upgrading to 440's and fmic [emoji4]

I agree it seems that if you chuck most mods at a classic the ecu will compensate for the change in parameters from the sensors and adjust fueling , pull timing and even use fuel cut as a safe guard .

I don't mean to sound like some people on another well known scooby site but some classic are over 20 yrs old ,have had various owners and no service history .so some will just go bang anyways no matter how well you service /treat them [emoji20]

I personally wouldn't change anything major without a dyno check /map tweek .

However I did spend over a grand on my pistons and rods and don't think the mrs will let me buy some more just yet [emoji4]

Thanks guys for the help! :D yeah... 500 pounds of just mapping is just crazy :( 

Yup, mine is a front turbo, doesnt have the air pipe straight... I was thinking maybe a good TD04 that could resist more? than the stock one... :P what you think guys? is that even possible? :D

• Like 1

I got mine checked for safety more of a health check

last year I did 4 dyno sessions in 2 different scoobs [emoji5] even if I've not had anything fitted I like it to go on rollers to make sure she's running rite at some point every year anyways .

£ 500 for just mapping is a bit steep .I've paid from £300 for duel mafless maps with hi low boost . simon (rip) only charged me £60 to up the boost 0.2 bar, wire in a apexi map sensor and tweek a existing map .

Martin does your air intake (from the air filter to turbo) pass under the inlet manifold ?

• Like 2

Well if yours is a front entry turbo then the one on eBay is a top entry.The only other tdo4 you could get is a modified one with either a 16/18/19 or 20g wheel which is called a hybrid.Still your car would need checking over because every car is different.Im not saying you stick a td05 on its gonna be safe or anything

• Like 1

Yup, it goes straight... already bought a new actuator for it, probably planning to do a maintenance to it, ask the guys from the garage to clean it, maybe get a new up-pipe and down-pipe... since its still cheaper than getting a remapping xDDDD 

gosh, cant believe that a mapping could be THAT expensive! its madness! (or sparta... :P )

You carnt just stick a tdo5 on and expect it to work.There is a lot of factors involved,ie the health of the engine and will you have enough fuel to deliver for the td05.And you have to be really carefull with the boost as well because unless the engine is forged the std engine is like chocolate and imo I wouldn't run anything more than a bar of boost till its been looked at.In my experience I would start with a stage 0 tune consisting of oil and filter,spark plugs and a compression test.Spark plugs may even want upgrading to PFRB7 plugs from the PFRB6 plugs

• Like 1

i wacked a vf28 on mine with the PPP ecu, it didnt like it! went about a mile and it was overfueling like mad!

Took it off and swapped it back 

If you want more power i would recommend keeping the TD04 then just looking for a SP 3 plug ECU , this ups the boost to 1.2 bar so you can run about 250-260bhp

• Like 1