learn to map

struggling wiht my apexi and dont wanna drive hours, im quite busy next 3 months

one my mates is a mapper of Vw / Vauxhalls / BM's, said if i get the stuff he will show me how to tweek maps, he will do my initial map then show me how to adjust it and improve it 

any thoughts , hopefully can trust myself not to set it to 3 bar or something lol 

I'm in same position mate, I've just bought an esl cable so I can at least look & log what's going on. I'd buy it mate, i'm. Sure you'll be able to save the file that's already in there so at least if you do !Removed! up you can just re flash the original base map.

• Like 1

Once my base map has was done I was tempted to have a go myself but didn't as it's easy to make a little tweek and make a costly big mistake. Saying that I might still give it a go in the future once I've got some way of monitoring the afr (fitted a gauge and a wideband lambada) as I think afr is the only thing you can't log from the hand controller.

I've got a link on the p.c for a pdf on apexi I'll chuck it on here for you when I get chance

!Removed! hell that's a lot of dough bud .

When I spoke to his assistant last year he said he wasn't keen on mapping older cars without any history as if they let go on the dyno people might think it was his fault and bad mouth him on forums

He'd probably spend all day mapping it though as he's very thorough and maps off boost to gain better economy (not just power)

I think Andy forest does apexi and is mobile so will come to you , might be a bit cheaper mapping on the road .

a bloke who came to one of the sheffield meets maps his own car, said he started by buying the esl board and having a play around with the settings, if you have all the right gauges and a exhaust temp sensor it should be relatively easy and you can back your intial map up as well before tweaking.

I will be a guinea pig :D

Go for it,learn it,for me yes a little mind field but we all know all of us(ok maybe not everyone) but you know what i mean :lol: are capable of doing anything they want. The most important ingredient is interest,if you have this ,then your on to a winner. Could do member maps etc,make a couple of £ too.

I would like to get into it,if i was made redundant for example i would consider getting set up and learning the ropes........

I mean how  B)  driving a Subaru to others Subaru's and leaving owners with a huge :D

I think with a little practice you would be as good as most home mappers(who are good),once a few years under your belt............well who knows,you may be the best!! The one to go to............

I do wish someone closer who knew maps etc could show me the ropes,would love to learn,which parts to alter on the map software. As long as do little adjustments at a time,record,test and so forth,should be good to go......................fast :)

• Like 1

I did find the link for a pdf apexi manual but can't seem to copy n paste it for some reason .

If you google it and chose the result from rs25 forum in the states ,the link is clean as I've downloaded it myself .it doesn't teach you how to map but it helps you to familiarise yourself with the functions .

As a few people have asked what can be seen on the hand controller

Here's a few shots of my hand controller after a spirited blast up a slip lane

I usually run it in 4 channel mode (my choice of parameters) it shows real time and peak post-1399-142662966593_thumb.jpg

8 channel shows just peak but gives you a idea of what parameters you can monitor/chose to view in 4 channel mode

post-1399-142662968345_thumb.jpg

As for adjustment you can change just about everything if you've got the balls / no how[emoji41]

• 4 weeks later...

I'm in same position mate, I've just bought an esl cable so I can at least look & log what's going on. I'd buy it mate, i'm. Sure you'll be able to save the file that's already in there so at least if you do !Removed! up you can just re flash the original base map.

How much was your esl cable Adam and where did you source it from

I've an evoscan cable at the mo with there software as it was 50 quid as esl wanted 175. What I didn't know is it won't work with esl software due to not having a dongle, if you buy their cable with the board it's half price.

I'm ordering it as they knew dunc supplied it in feb so I can have it at reduced rate.

Evoscan one I've not had chance to use it as only turned up the other day it offers live data, logging and what not but I can't see as much as with the esl.

Yes mate you can tune esl mapped cars with their cable,

The evoscan cable should allow you to map flashable ecu's

Www.evoscan.com

Mines OBD 1 which i don't thinkbe compatable with yours. Unless you have the older ssm plug aswell ?

I'll post up a close up pic so you can double check mate

• Like 1

Yes mate you can tune esl mapped cars with their cable,

The evoscan cable should allow you to map flashable ecu's

Www.evoscan.com

Mines odb 1 which i don't thinkbe compatable with yours. Unless you have the older ssm plug aswell ?

I'll post up a close up pic so you can double check mate

Whats the ssm plug Adam