WRX with problems.

Floyd9t8

I have acquired a 2001 Impreza WRX but there a couple of problems, the first being when it is driven at slowish speeds (30mph) for around 5-10 mins when you stop the car some kind of smoke comes from the engine (it comes from the left hand corner as you stand looking at the front of the car).  I looks/smells like something is burning but it only does it at slow speeds (I stopped to get fuel and you could see the smoke coming out of the bonnet) There isn't loads of smoke, but enough to know there's a problem. At high speeds (50mph+) it seems not to happen because the air intake seemingly is sufficient to keep whatever it is cool. Any ideas would be greatly received. And finally it has done well over 120k but doesn't seem to have had its cambelt changed EVER, so my question is, is there a good make of belt kit to buy as Halfords seem to do one from continental that I am considering. I will also do the water pump at the same time.

A lot of guys use gates or dayco belts. There's always cosworth it want a real heavy duty belt. If the belt has never been changed I'd suggest you change all pulleys and tensioners at the same time. Even the water pump as the belt has to come off to change that.

As for your smoke it could be water or oil dripping onto the manifold causing steam. At 50mph you won't see it because it's getting blown away too quick. Keep an eagle eye on your levels and try to find it soon.

• Like 1

Thanks for that I have seen some gates ones on eBay and I will do the tensioners/pulleys as its been so long. I will do the water pump at the same time. With regards to the smoke, its definitely not steam. The engine temperature is fine. I will keep an eye on the levels. The previous owner had the engine induction pipe between turbo and the air filter replaced,  It was done a while ago but I believe that is the area of the engine where the smoke comes from.

+ 1 for import car parts for the cam belt kit and if you're uncertain about the history get the full kit (pulleys, tensioner and water pump )

The area your describing the smoke coming from would suggest a oil leak dripping onto the headers, probably from the rocker cover gasket/half moons (at the back end of the cams) as these get brittle due to the heat from the up pipe . if not check the turbo oil drain pipe as this can sometimes split or block

• Like 2

Yeah smells like hot oil, only after you've stopped or turned off.

Easy way to check is pop bonnet and look inbetween the airbox and rocker cover, you'll see the up pipe at the bottom, my heatsheild was covered in oil and grime. If it's the other side won't be as noticable

It probably will have had it's cambelt changed, that's two belts worth mileage. However it is always better to be safe than sorry, if it hasn't had it done that shows how good Subarus are ;).

I had loads of smoke from my up pipe after I had my turbo rebuilt, due to a mixture of the up pipe being heat wrapped and having stuff dribbled onto it. Do you know if the car has had any mods?

It seems standard, there's no fancy pipes or upgraded discs or calipers. Its only had 2 previous owners the person I got it off, got it in 2007. I'll probably print this 'thread' off and take it to the relevant garage. With regards to the cambelt, like I said the previous owner has had it for around 90,000 miles and said he has never had it done.

Can someone please tell me what the small tank is in the engine bay on a WRX just below the turbo to the left of the main block. It has a 'never open when hot' it is made from metal and has 3 pipes going into it. Mine is a bit rusty so was looking to get a replacement.

Are you doing a coolant change or just topping off ?

Basically always keep the metal one full when cold, and the plastic one should have a min and max line,you will need a torch, but if it's empty just fill that to the min line,

When hot the coolant should enter the overflow and be no higher than the max line, hope that makes sense ?