She's a big Bia-tch!

Tidgy

You'd have thought the Fleet Air arm would still have some Harriers in service as a temporary stop gap!!

Or borrow some F-18's from the yanks :D

From what i can gather alot of the cost increase has been the gov changing from vert to catapult, to short take off. There was a program to make the eurofighter carrier usable but that got shelved a while ago.

All the eggs went on the F35 and its a !Removed!, jack of all trades master of none

Its all an exercise in trying to cut costs and make trying to make multiroll aircraft. Haven't they learnt the multirole concept doesn't work, it never has and never will.

That's the problem with civilian committees being put in charge of Defense planing and spending.

Any Sane person would leave it up to the Generals, Admirals and Air Marshals who actually do the !Removed! job day to day.

the EuroFighter was also considered for being modded for use. It was the same for the F18's they was modified to work originally with Aircraft carriers. 

yeah, apparently cancelled in late 80's

I wonder with the size of the ship that it could be done but surely cost would be huge. I mean I'm no aerospace construction developer or anything. Hell I'm happy when an oil change on my car goes well. But yhe weight of possibly landing gear and the extra support for the hook to attach what ever plane's they might need would almost have to be rebuilt.

The space for the catapult and arrester gear is there, was design for it. Just the Gov changed there mind at the cost of 6 billion to the UK tax payer to got to vtol, think current spec is stol