stainless exhausts

I appear to have the most un modded import ever, looks like it's never been touched even the wind deflectors were added here, ?

the exhaust will need doing at some point in the next 12 months so i'm looking for help on types/makes, there seem to be many out there with varying costs, there don't seem to be that many listed specifically for foresters so will classic impreza ones fit ? i'll be looking for 2 parts i guess from the cat back to start with,

the heywood & scott ones look v nice and also v pricey but have them listed for foresters, where as some of the other sites i could get a middle and back for nearly the same cost as the back form them, scooby bits do some reasonable looking parts for reasonable prices but will they fit ?

i'm not really looking for big power gains or excessively loud, so i guess the smaller diameter pipes will work best ? 

and if i just add the two sections and a panel filter i take it the ecu will be able to work fine without any tinkering ?

cheers 

The ECU will work fine but as you have increased the ability of the car to flow more air you may find it runs a little lean, the electrics should compensate but a map to suite will get you the best mixture for your car to ensure it runs efficiently.

If you are thinking about Hayward and Scott level budgets why not consider a made to measure system which would be done to your spec lifetime guarantee etc

• Like 2

To be fair i was just using them as a top line price, i wouldn't know what to pay as the prices vary wildly and was hoping to get some feedback on what others may have fitted.

Would i be wasting my money on a 2 parts that came in cheaper ? Is it a case of you get what you pay for and what not : )

to a degree yes however as performance is not your primary concern you could look at quality of materials but from a lesser known name but it is the fit which you would need to ensure is to your satisfaction - H&S do supply a quality product though it has to be said

As far as i'm aware..... the impreza system is a touch short for the forester.

What you would have to do is fit the centre section from the cat to the backbox, then have an extension piece added to the backbox otherwise the tip of the exhaust will sit under the bumper.

My forester 2.0XT had an impreza wrx backbox fitted when i bought it and it sat right under the bumper.

I had to remove the backbox and have an extension welded on to bring it out to sit flush with the bumper.

Me personally.... H&S all the way...... when i come to replace the system on my Impreza i'll be looking at their system.

And with regards to the ecu.... you should have no real issues unless you fit a decat.

excellent cheers for the advice, i'll start saving for the h&s system

when you say de cat, is that the whole lot or just one of them, i've been told mine has a pair dunno if that's correct i've not looked yet,

are there any emmisions problems come mot time if one's been removed ?

decat generally means removal of the cat(s) and yes the forester like the impreza has 2, if you are to remove it then here some info

1. it will fail the mot for not having one on visual inspection

2. it will cause the car to over/under fuel as the lambda won't be reading emissions right

3. due to the above it will fail an emmisions check

i have none on mine just a straight through pipe, i get round the mot by slipping the tester a few extra quid and he passes it, some will NOT do that, some will, to get round the emmisions side of it, for the ecu andyway, you can get a lambda spacer that will let you mount the sensor further from the inside of the exhaust meaning it won't get as strong an emmisions read

something like this will do

$T2eC16h,!%29kE9s4,Bt2YBQjvPi,EGQ~~60_35

there are some that sit at 90 degrees so they don't get in the way of other parts

Unless you know a garage that will use another car for the test ;) it will fail. I was going to say mine was to big to be tested but I'm not even going there with you lot :D

cool,

i didn't know if i could just remove the lower cat or are they sequentially in the same pipe ? and replace the two back sections.

my mazda was old enough it only had to have a basic emmissions test so full manifold and a single silenced stainless mazdaspeed item was on it. sounded great, best when aproaching 5k and above allways ran too rich. i'm only getting a few mpg less now than i was driving that. :)

so really my options are

full decat. stainless system and bribe mot man.

highflow cat downpipe and the rest of it (any problems with this ?)

keep cats standard and just do he two back sections

I'm sure your shaved legs should be enough for the MOT man ? ;)

And yes I would have the remap done though if you do go decat like Miggs said before lambda sensor will not be there to read anything  :D But will bump the cost up more. You must be enjoying the Pot noodles then :D

are you coming onto me with the offer of a propper meal or do you just want to see my legs ? haha

i'm not really looking for loads more power as things will start to get expensive (who can stop themselves when the itch is scratched)

remember this is supposed to be my sensible family car. i'm prob going to go down the two back sections panel filter route unless tge cat's dead. maybe a map to follow for a bit more economy but apart from that the only other thing i'll be aftervis a new set of rims. i even quite like how high it sits at the mo.

I sold my forester because if I wanted more than 220bhp I needed to change the turbo, but then I'd have needed a bigger tmic or a fmic fitted, bigger injectors, bigger fuel pump etc etc. I knew I would crave more power so I knew I had to sell.

Plus mine was a 53plate with 135k on the clocks and had a ****** of an oil leak :(

On a side note..... The biggest reason for a remap post-decatting is to control boost and the way the turbo spools up. When decatted the turbo can spool so much quicker..... But this can allow big boost spikes that will kill the turbo. If and when I decat my wrx.... I'll be making sure I have the funds to remap straight away.

• Like 1

i went for the jdm one so mine's putting out 250brake standard :)

fresh service and the chap said it's looking spot on for a good few years yet.

besides it's plenty fast enough. coming back from sheff the other day medium traffic outside lane doing the speed of the car in front. some little badboy in a new zetec s festia joins m'way off slip road across 3 lanes and decides to try and climb into my boot, this went on for about 3 miles. traffic in front of me moves over, drop into 4th apply right foot that was it, never stood a chance. (it's not big or clever) sometimes people need to be educated may be a square box but doesn't half shift . don't think his misses was impressed by his ability to drive really close to people either

The ECU will work fine but as you have increased the ability of the car to flow more air you may find it runs a little lean, the electrics should compensate but a map to suite will get you the best mixture for your car to ensure it runs efficiently.

If you are thinking about Hayward and Scott level budgets why not consider a made to measure system which would be done to your spec lifetime guarantee etc

Sounds like a good shout to me, I spoke to longlife and they were happy to make me a turbo back exhaust to my exact specification for £650 inc vat. Where as I got a quote from a tuning firm for a milltek turbo back and that was double the price. I had enquired at longlife if they were able to build my a dual system, which is what I'll get next. And that would be from turbo back, but just after the down pip they put in a valved 'Y' piece that would at a flick of a switch turn it from the normal custom exhaust to a side exit. Which I've always wanted just for the cool factor rather than anything else lol and that was for £850 inc vat. Well worth it just for the window shattering sound lol

i went for the jdm one so mine's putting out 250brake standard :)fresh service and the chap said it's looking spot on for a good few years yet.besides it's plenty fast enough. coming back from sheff the other day medium traffic outside lane doing the speed of the car in front. some little badboy in a new zetec s festia joins m'way off slip road across 3 lanes and decides to try and climb into my boot, this went on for about 3 miles. traffic in front of me moves over, drop into 4th apply right foot that was it, never stood a chance. (it's not big or clever) sometimes people need to be educated may be a square box but doesn't half shift . don't think his misses was impressed by his ability to drive really close to people either

Mine was the uk model.... Running the baby td03 turbo which is maxed out at 210-220bhp. Only had 179bhp standard lol

You can get the car mapped with maf deletes and lambda deletes too, also as for mot, a high flow sports cat should work ok but for the cost I'd go decat but keep the old cats to fit for mot time

I have a set of cats in the back, I'll go take a pic for you

have a look around for random small back street garages that will do the work, i've found garages in the past that take on work on custom exhausts that powerflow want mega bucks for, one example was when i put a V6 in a mk2 golf, i went to powerflow for a custom system and they quoted nearly £300, i found a small back street garage that builds rally landrovers and he did it for £90 and spent a full day fitting and removing getting it mm perfect

valved 'Y' piece that would at a flick of a switch turn it from the normal custom exhaust to a side exit. Which I've always wanted just for the cool factor rather than anything else lol and that was for £850 inc vat. Well worth it just for the window shattering sound lol

That sounds awesome!!

speak with Pete at Exhausts UK

http://www.cobrasport.com/model.php?manufacturer=Subaru&manId=31

then get one made to how you want it to look and sound :)

i like the look of the last turbo back system they list there for the newage impreza wrx / sti.

full decat with non res centre and a 3.5" inward rolled tip for £550........ thats much cheaper than the hayward & scott system i was looking at.

even the cat back with the slightly bigger 4" inward rolled tip is only £315 :)