Shut Down Procedure

hardlythere

Is there a recommended or general rule of thumb for  switching off Subaru turbo engines, if there is, is it the same when cold or hot.

Secondly I have recently read that the alternators don't kick in until the engine has warmed up,some sought of energy saving application and that to create a demand for the alternator it suggested to drive with headlamps on especially if your vehicle is doing a number of short journeys.

Thanks

Cold start don't boot it until the temp gauge is up to normal operating mark,

Shutdown, drive off boost for the last couple of miles, maybe leave it running for 30 seconds or so after you park up.

As for the alternator most people just put the sidelights on as it will charge the Battery

As said above. Hard driving it's good practice to leave it to cool back to normal temp when warm. But little bit of normal driving it's fine as matt said. I just get out the car. It will be fine

Anyone got opinions on pipping revs up before they shut down? 

Most say don't do it as it will spin the turbo without it having proper lubrication or something or nothing, 

but some say do. 

?we got a definitive answer? 

Drive it steady (off boost) for first few miles to let oil temp come up (takes longer for oil temp to come up than water, so just cos water temp gauge is ok doesn't mean oil is). Drive it steady last few miles to let ALL fluids circulate and cool evenly.

Any other time, loud pedal free for all :) I would advise getting an oil temp guage, impreza engines run hot and oil temp can kill the engine.

Friend of my thraped living fook out of his car for 80,000 miles, didnt blow the engine, but he always warmed it up, let it cool down and car was maintained no expense spared. Car finaly had enough when pin balled off 3 trees, but he walked away unhurt.

• Like 1

Cheers guys, pretty much as I  expected really just be sensible. I only asked as when I was looking to purchase my Forester I read some old trucker going on about look after your turbo and your turbo will look after you.

Plus I`m sure I read on here somewhere someone being advised to ask the previous owner what he did as a shutdown .

• Like 1