Tyres - recommendations

NorfolkJim

HI guys.

Awaiting delivery of my new (to me) 57 reg Legacy Estate 2.0 RE auto this evening.

It may require a couple of tyres but depending on what's on it I may do all 4??????

I always put good quality tyres on my car as after all that's all you have between you and the road!! My last car was a Saab 9-5 Estate and that had Michelin Primacy 3 which were very good but I know not all tyres suit certain cars??

I'm not a racing driver and don't intend to take the car to it's limits but I'm also not a slow driver - if that makes sense.

I was looking at possibly putting all seasons such as Goodyear Vector4all seasons or Uniroyal all seasons on it.

Any suggestions or other option for this particular car - I only do around 8k a year

Any advice warmly welcomed as we had a good discussion on the Saab forum on this very subject - some on there had kept their winters on all year round with good results!

I've just put on 4 Goodyear efficient grip. Bought them as they have a rated wet grip and low resistance, i'm happy withbthe plenty of grip when pushing on.

The Michelin cross climate that are due out in the next month May be worth a look too

No mate still holding off a bit yet. Would love to be able to afford them when the time comes though...they do look good

Sent from my iphone using Tapatalk

Ats are the only one stocking online yet...hoping more of the mytyres / tyreleader type sites join the party soon to drive the prices down

• 3 weeks later...

Dave - you said yours are 215/55 17. Are they on an Outback as my Legacy RE tourer are 215/45 17's which Michelin don't yet do in the Cross Climate. I have put some of those on my wife's 2010 Golf 205/55 R16 came out at an unbelievable £78 per corner - that's £312 for the set. They are superb in dry and excellent in a downpour we had at weekend.

Speaking to my dealers they said they recommend Yokohama's which is what they came on but not sure which one?? Having said that I need to change them pretty quickly before my centre diff is knackered - mine has got Hankook on front and dunlop sport on back  both with different load ratings and more than 2mm difference in tread depth. Front are worn on outsides and when you turn sharp at low speed feel as if you have a flat tyre - torque wind?? Supposedly new tyres should solve this?????

Yes, outbacks seem to come with higher profile tyres than legacys. I still haven't bought any yet but think the cross climates will end up too expensive. Falkens looking favourite at the mo

Must admit Dave I am mightly impressed with these Cross Climates on the Golf. I may go down the Falken All Season if they make my size. Seems very few decent tyres in 215/45 17's.

Have you ever had this 'torque wind' or 'diff wind' happen. Seems bizarre but I have always known tyres must be the same with no more than 1.5mm difference around them to avoid problems

It's a new one to me.... I've always thought as long as the axle pair are replaced at the same time, you should be fine [emoji54]

• 3 weeks later...

dave did you get your tyres ive just got a set of falkens good all rounder very good tyre for the money got mine £264 for four I had them on a 530 e39 wss very pleased with them so just put them on my outback h6 today

Yes mate got a pair of falken ziex 914's on the back now and will get the same for the fronts when I need them....probably 12 months time