Turbo 2000 question

Hi all, just joined the group, I have recently got rid of my remapped seat Leon Cupra To finally get a scooby, been waiting a very long time to get one! I have brought a W reg turbo 2000, it has a full stainless, induction kit and dump valve with a boost gauge also. My question is as I don't have any experience with scoobys so far I can hear a tapping sound when I am lifting off or on part throttle, can't hear the sound when boosting as the exhaust is loud! I also hear a knocking sound when car is idling when I'm cooling down after a run. Any suggestions as to what this might be? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Matt

Sent from my iphone using Tapatalk

Thanks tidgy, I don't know of any near me, kind of why I asked on here lol, I'm based on the far west coast of Wales but I do travel to Cardiff and surrounding area quite regularly, do you or anyone know of any good tuners around my area?

Hi Scoobylouie,

Welcome to the club.

Is the tapping come from the car or the engine area?

Has is been standing for a while ? Has it had a recent oil change?

Sometimes with them being a Flat Four the run dry of oil.

Hi bigd, thank you, the tapping noise seems to be coming from the engine, more prominent when at half throttle, it seems to knock on idle but I don't know whether that is just the way it sounds and its age. Also not sure if the stainless exhaust is amplifying it lol. From what I'm aware it was a daily driver for the previous owner, the oil was full/slightly over full when I first checked, I'm wondering whether to do an oil change to start with and see what happens.. I will get a video up when I can, do I have to have a minimum amount of posts before I do?

Is it a tapping or a knocking as this is different?

Like they have said before its hard to tell without hearing it.

I would start with an engine flush and the replace with a high grade oil see what happens. 

A knocking could be a problem as its could be the bottom end but do the oil first then we will see?

How many miles has it done ?

Mine slaps like crazy when cold and will disappear after a couple of miles, they are quite noisy engines as a rule, have a look for subaru rod knock on you tube for a reference to big end failure,

If you let her warm up and open the bonnet rev to 3k and if it sounds like a bag of spanners then it's probably not good [emoji22]

It seems to be a tapping noise when running at part throttle, I will get a video up tonight to try and explain, may be easier to diagnose then, I think I will do the oil asap and see what happens, car has 125000 on the clock, how often is service interval?

Tapping noice is a better noice than knocking lol

Drop the oil and see how you go.

If you treat a subaru engine with repect, love and maintenance it deserves then it should run sweet for 200k

I will be unable to post until tomorrow sorry guys as it won't give me an option to create a channel unless I'm on desktop, I'm hoping I can get it done in work on Tuesday, can't get access to a computer until then! Aargh! Lol

Long and short, I only have wifi at home, which is playing up! No phone signal at all, I will get the video up in the next few days and you can all tell me what you think. Stants I don't think it sounds like that video but I may be wrong, will have to wait and see what people think, will post again as soon as I can get this flaming you tube sorted lol