Wanted: Newage Headers (read desc)

Oj 89

There's no easy way to say that without making it sound bad. ANYWAY. Some of you may have seen this thread talking about fitting UEL headers to n/a scoobs and the last post atm is me finding out that the Hawkeye n/a's have a different exhaust to previous years, meaning the higher trim UEL header may bolt straight on.

So, is there anyone around London/South East that would have a set of UEL headers I could borrow for a test fit? With the possibility of buying if they fit, if it's something you need Someone must have some lying about somewhere x)

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't got much experience with the later twin scroll turbo headers but I do know that you have to fit the oil pick up and sump in order to make them fit a 2ltr turbo .

The main reason (as far as I'm aware) that you can't fit turbo unequal headers to a na scoob is because the na doesn't have a up pipe. therfore you'd have to fabricate a upipe/downpipe by pass section that connects the cat back to the headers

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I haven't got much experience with the later twin scroll turbo headers but I do know that you have to fit the oil pick up and sump in order to make them fit a 2ltr turbo .

The main reason (as far as I'm aware) that you can't fit turbo unequal headers to a na scoob is because the na doesn't have a up pipe. therefore you'd have to fabricate a upipe/downpipe by pass section that connects the cat back to the headers

The Newage headers are actually in 2 parts. The up-pipe is separate, otherwise, I agree, this concept would be dead in the water. I think the only issue is the alignment of the three bolts that fit between header and exhaust...

Oh, and of course losing a Catalytic Converter, but that's something I'd test once I knew the headers fit.

I wouldn't say it was dead in the water as I've never seen a na scoob . I like to do things a bit different and would see how much it would cost to get a by pass pipe made up (if it looks like it would work) as that would probably be much cheaper than borla headers.

Best of luck bud

• 1 month later...

Sorry to drag up an old post but if you're still struggling I may be of some help... I too have a 2.0R sport and have been searching for UEL headers for AGES! I'm hoping I may have found a solution- as stated in the other thread, the mid pipe and rear silencer sections of the R sport are the exact same size and shape as the earlier newage N/A's. Therefore I have purchased a set of headers AND cat pipe designed for <05 models, knowing the cat pipe will come out exactly where the R sport cat pipe comes out to join the mid section. As long as the exhaust ports are located in the same places (don't see why they wouldn't be), and the header pipes clear the sump and filter (which after a rough sketch look like they will) then all should be well! I'll be fitting them in a few weeks so i'll post an update to let you know if it works or not :)

Sent from my iphone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I have some japspeed unequal headers that are being fitted to my non turbo in 2 weeks time, I have a bugeye wagon. My fella has a 2.0 sport hawkeye wagon and he is going to try my headers on his to see if they fit from what I understand the length of one of the pipes needs to be longer to bolt onto the Hawkeye sports.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

They fitted! Not without problems though... First of all, the port holes on the manifold were out (my guess is as it's a cheap manifold they didn't bother checking), so after a little bit of persuasion with a crowbar it went on! Also, the manifold rubs up against the oil filter post-3486-143911728957_thumb.jpg again probably due to the lack of !Removed! given at the manufacturer. You do have to cut a small chunk out of the engine and gearbox under trays as the pipes are routed slightly differently but apart from that, if you spent a bit more on a decent brand, it'd be an effortless install! Here's a vid of the result: http://youtu.be/6yX0jJMJHVM

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Sorry to drag up a very old post but im looking at unequals for my r sport and im toying with the idea of pre <05 eBay headers and sport cat rather than a full custom direct fit, and seeing how much moding they need to fit. Just wondered how you ended up doing it @HawkeyeLawrence any info would be great info pal. Tia

Sorry to drag up a very old post but im looking at unequals for my r sport and im toying with the idea of pre

Hi mate, got a feeling I replied to one of your posts on facebook about this- in my case I went for the . Had to spend about £300 getting it modified. Also if you do need to get them modified, make sure you use a reputable place as mine was blowing after the first place I took it to!

The flanges were the same shape, no issue there. The issue was the actual pipework. It ran way too close to the oil filter and was too far forward in general (it was pulling the rest of the exhaust system forwards). To cure this, the pipes were cut, with additional sections of pipe welded in between the cuts. My thoughts after it all was to try and find a breaking

6 minutes ago, s4mcr0 said:

Yeah i was toying with the idea of running a pre 05 sports cat and unequal headers as i know the centre section joins to either the old set up or the new. Was just wondering how much modification was needed to make them fit. My other idea was to try wrx headers and modify a flange for the n/a 2nd pipe where the uppipe flange is. If its just a case of extending a few pipes i may go the pre05 way as that seems easier. But as im sure you found out, in your head its easy in real life not so much lol

Yeah i was toying with the idea of running a pre 05 sports cat and unequal headers as i know the centre section joins to either the old set up or the new. Was just wondering how much modification was needed to make them fit. My other idea was to try wrx headers and modify a flange for the n/a 2nd pipe where the uppipe flange is. If its just a case of extending a few pipes i may go the pre05 way as that seems easier. But as im sure you found out, in your head its easy in real life not so much lol

Yeah that’s the problem- not many r sports get modified beyond a backbox and an air filter so anything else is experimentation! Good luck with whatever route you end up taking anyway!