Vf35 slow spooling

ChrisD

Closest graph I've got for a comparison is my v1 sti when it had the original engine ,440's ,tdo5 16g ,full decat and fmic (which should make it spool a bit slower )

This was at 1.2 bar

post-1399-140865605294_zps4gl06zvw.jpeg

Afaik Tdo5 16g's and vf35's are both journal based cores (not roller bearing cores) and are the spec's are fairly similar .

I've got a boost graph of mine from earlier this year and it now makes 1.58 bar under 4k rpm on the rollers (a bit earlier on the road) but it's had a few tweaks so spools a bit earlier than a standard set up .

I know that the sti higher lift cams make a bit better power but I don't think they have that much effect on spool times and would have thought your's should have spooled at least 500 rpm quicker .

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

• Like 2

It does shift if you drop it a gear and hit that sweet spot [emoji6]

Should really get it on the rollers again as I haven't got a graph for the power @1.58 bar due to my old apexi intake strangling it and not letting it hold boost last on the last dyno session

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

TD04 will always drop off at the top end due to its size.

Did they give you a boost AFR graph?

Who's that for tidgy ?

I'm not fussed for massive power as I wanted a quick point to point car without the need to be in the higher rev range, as I need my licence for work, I'm more than happy with the results and I know up to 90 I can get there quite quickly, any more and I'd be getting myself into some serious trouble [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Hi mate I know exactly where your coming from , I suppose subaru didn't put the tdo4 on for no reason what a good little turbo it is :-) almost no lag on them at all and no need to rinse the !Removed! off your car to get the power , I loved myn but after o.9'bar and 5k that was it my td04'started passing abit of oil so instead of buying twice I got a vf43 designed for the 2.5'sti one of the biggest vf turbos the inlet housing basically sits on the gearbox now lol massive compared to the td04 , my list of mods where

Ihi vf43 turbo good for 370+ bhp bit more than the vf35

Sward 3port boost solnoid so boost control is perfect

Hrc 255 fuel pump

Sti pink injectors

Decat up pipe toyo sports

Decat downpipe toyo sports cheap but good welds etc so no complaints

K&n panel filter

Mishimoto silicone intercooler y pipe much bigger than standard

Btt racing turbo inlet silicone hose much bigger than standard , (not sucked in at all )

Prfb7'plugs cooler rating

Good service oils fuel filter etc

Then . Mapped by Duncan graham

She was mapped to 1.5 bar which she hits at around 4k pulls like a fooking train to the red line and wants some more lol , but it's a completely different drive it took me ages to get used to it lol , out of boost she fills lethargic slow , but on boost she so much faster than when she was standard I love it now ,bit for a while I thought what have I done lol and wanted my td04 back ,like the the old motocross bikes with band , nothing nothing bang hanging on for dear life , Duncan said my wrx tmic was holding her back big time , but as I'm a wrx with 5 speed etc best not to push her to far , but he mapped the turbo to come in nice to be kind to my gear box .,I not had her on the dyno yet so not to sure what exact bhp I'm pushing but a brand new BMW m1 tried to have me the other day and got a shock to silly speeds to which I declined to proceed with , but obviously over 300 bhp lol if that helps lol

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Did the mapper say anything about the lag or struggle to get preload pressure on the actuator ?

As if you've not got a vac line or actuator issue maybe it could be the modded wrx cat less upipe bore being mismatched to the turbo and headers ,but I will admit i don't know much about catted upipes cos classics don't have em .

You Could just get yourself a Harvey trick upipe and a 3 port boost solinoid mapped in anyways .

as they're probably the 2 best upgrades to lessen lag and let the mapper control the boost better

Why's that tidgy ?

I don't know who area 52's mapper is and tbh I'd only use my current mapper (Clive attowe) or if I had to use someone new, by reputation I'd choose Andy forest or bob rawl but I've never had any personal experience with either of the last 2