Future new owner!

Hi Guys!

My name is Xavier (I'm obviously French) and I've been living in the UK for 6 years.

I'm passionate about cars and mechanics, and I own a 1991 Peugeot 309 GTI on which I do all the work myself.

I'm looking for something different now, and in two weeks time, if everything goes smoothly, I should be the new owner of a 1998 JDM Forrester S-Turbo.

Is there anything in particular I should be watching when inspecting / test driving the car?

I mean, other than the usual checks, is there a specific weak point with these cars, one area in particular prone to rust, etc...

Fingers crossed in two weeks I will be posting a new topic about the car itself!

Cheers!

Hi mate welcome to S.O.C 

Rust is normally found in the normal spots door sills rear wheel arches near the bumper meets up with the metal. Other then that listen for any noise from the engine. I'm sure you will hear if there is anything wrong but Big ends is always been a fault. :( 

But hope all goes well and its a great car. Please feel to put some pictures up after you have bought it :D 

• Like 2

Thanks for the welcome! :)

I hope it will be goog because I'm quite exited by the idea of owning this car.

I've been told they can be "tappy" when cold, is that something to be worried about or is it normal?

Thanks!

I would check the oil level 1st make sure its not low I have noticed when it drops they do tap a little but I like that as it lets me know :D they do make a bit more of a noise when cold but shouldn't last long at all no more then a minute. have a good play around with the gears too when you test drive it make sure they feel in shape, should be fine :) 

as said they do get tappy on start up but no more than a minute or so, start the engine while your looking round it, once youve had a good look if it's still tapping then turn off and walk away as this isn't going to be an easy fix

the big ends go for a number of reasons,

1. cheap quality oil and/or infrequent changes

2. not warming the car properly before driving like a hoon

3. taking the car right to the redline in each gear

4. sustained high speed (120mph on a private road for 40 miles)

as long as they have been well looked after they will last forever, i bought my impreza with 150k on the clock and when i went to look at it the guy sat on the drive and would let me drive it until it had warmed up properly

the forresters are more commonly used in fields by farmers so may have damage underneath, the rear control arm on Dogma's forrester was twisted, not to mention lots of cheap fixes like incorrect bolt sizes (farmers are known for being cheap) thankfully he had a spare impreza to swap parts over from

i don't want to put you off, 1 in 10 will be like the above mentioned, not all, take your time and if it seems to good to be true then it probably is

all the best with it pal, you won't be dissapointed when you get one

• Like 1

On the impreza they are on both strut tops, both have the chassis number one has weights and the other paint codes etc and yes the chassis number will be like that

Thanks Pete!

I don't have the car yet (fingers crossed), but I've got a few pictures of it:

51d9bd8c30733_1.jpg

51d9bd921a03c_1.jpg

51d9bd99dbeb0_1.jpg

I know from a HPI check that she was originally white and has be resprayed (you can tell from the engine bay anyway).

She seems to have the STI bodykit, but I don't know if it was standard for JDM SFs...

It's unusual to see a white fozzy that's not an sti, I was gonna comment I've never seen one that colour till I kept reading, I do like that, a lot, blue is my favourite colour, my scooby the first blue car I've owned since I've had my licence, very nice indeed mate, I'm really starting to like foresters

Not sure, I can check my sources if you like, imports don't always list things like wrx and sti on impreza but Ican check and see if you like?

Pm me the reg

Having seen the interior, I don't think it's a STI one.

I send you a MP anyway, any info is good, many thanks!

The deal won't happen before I come back from holiday mid-August in the end, so got time to collect info.