Changing the clutch

maybe-buy-a-BRZ

On most subarus (impreza ,foz,legacies ect) there seems to be 2 common ways to do a clutch.

Pull the engine forward which I assume means removing the rad (as i haven't personally tried this method)

When removing the box from underneath the main problem you need to overcome is getting the underside of the car high enough off the ground. To clear the bell housing if you want to fully remove the box from under the car and out of the transmission tunnel

• Like 1

Jacking up the car is a bit tedious but not a problem, but the tricky bits are lowering the gearbox onto my chest, I once dropped it onto my face, and offering up the gearbox after replacing the clutch.  The only time that the latter was easy was when I aligned the splines using an old input shaft, the other thing that I did on a Sierra clutch was to file a tiny chamfer on the back end of the clutch splines.

When I fitted the 6 speed and pink box clutch to my classic I found that putting a block of wood and a jack on the headers to tilt the engine while trying to re align the idle shaft to the clutch made life a bit easier. I've used this method for 5 classic and clutch and box replacements and with the help of my "gym monkey " brv had no issues with re alignment doing it on the drive with the scoob on axle stands with blocks of wood

• Like 1

I've just been though this myself had to change gearbox and clutch on my drive on axle stands lol. I done it all on my own bit of a nightmare but in all just time consuming , I lowered the box out on a jack rolled it on it's side on some old cushions then pulled it out from under car lol , I put the box on it's side slid it back under rolled it onto jack then slowly lifted it up then when so high used spare axle stands to support the keep jacking up , bit of a wobble and 30 mins later it was on lol . Easy as I think subaru knew there boxes where !Removed! as there quite easy to get in and out , :-)

• Like 3

I have a clutch on order now and I'm gonna borrow and engine hoist. Not in a rush for the car to be done so I'll pick at bits each night for a couple weeks. Plenty of light in the evenings for me to chill out and take my time.