What turbo +won't boost

Calq98

Hi all. New to this forum but have a few questions I'm hoping some of u may answer. I've just bought a 96 Impreza sti jap import for a project .. What turbo would this be running ? As standard.as I'm looking to upgrade but not sure what is on the car.

Also the car won't boost? There is no smoke like when a turbo is knackered when driving so I'm guessing it's not that.!I've read up it could be the boost solenoid? But I have noticed the intake pipe that goes to the turbo is split where it's clamped to the turbo. Would this cause the no boost issue?ive ordered a new intake pipe and will replace when arrives.i guess checking for leaks hoses would be another thing to check? Any info or help would be appreciated. Thanks In advance

A split in the intake hose would cause no boost- there wouldn't be enough pressure to spool up the turbo, due to the air leaking out of it.

I had some really badly split intake pipes on my car and it caused no boost and really awful running. But it's best just to check the whole system over while you're there

Widesam thanks for the reply. And boozydave I'm not sure what cel light is? I'm new to subarus but generally mechanically minded and hands on person. But not yet with scoobys haha. I know the intercooler hoses have been upgraded. And there is a split In the intake hose that goes to the turbo.. But a new one is on order.

Cel is 'check engine light'

I have to say, subarus are really quite easy to work on once you know what's what. This forum is a massive help- in my ownership since March, I've amazed myself with what I've learnt.

• Like 1

it should light up when you start up and go out a couple of seconds later. if it doesn't light up at all, the bulb might have been removed to hide the problem. if it stays on, there will be a fault stored on the ECU

Have a search on here for the classic self code check and follow the instructions, this allows you to check the ecu for faults which might indicate why you have a boosting issue .

96 is a change over year so it will either be a v2 with a tdo5 16g turbo or a v3 with a front entry (possibly) vf23.

Either turbo will make 320+hp with a remap and supporting mods

Check the plaque on the suspension turret under the bonnet and cross reference the "model code " (gc8#### number ) with the model code list on here to find out which version you have.

As there's a few differences between the v2 sti and v3 sti inlet phase/ fuel rail set up.

• Like 2

Thanks for your help people.. Savage Bulldogs. Where do I go to check my model ? Gc8052019 is the code.

And as for power I'm hoping it would be around the 300hp mark. It's been remapped with antilag set up.induction kit full exhaust including the manifold and a few other little bits.

Sorry just re read that , Any idea what ecu is in it , probably either esl or alcertek seeing as it's got anti lag but I'm unsure if the ecu code check will work .

The "model code" is on a silver plaque the passenger front suspension turret under the bonnet . You'll still need to know what version/ model you've got to make sure the vac lines are set up correctly.

As split vac lines and faulty boost solinoids are a common culprit when having boost issues

Not sure what ecu is in it but can find out. I've done a code check GC8D4ED says it's a v3 Sti or a v3 Sti type v limited. But says those are 97-98 models. I was told it was a 96 from my local parts dealer when they did a check. How do I know which one I have out of the v3 Sti and type v limited ? Engine code is ej20kdw6pr

I think most v3 v limiteds are the dark blue 555 colour and all have a v limited badge on the boot / front seats and a build plaque on the center console but at least we know what version it is now .

So any engine parts that you need will be for a v3 with a phase 1.5 inlet set up and front entry turbo .

The ecu is located under the passenger foot well carpet and will probably have a code sticker on it but if it's had a esl daughter board or simtek/alcertek conversion . you'll probably only be able to see if you remove the outer casing off the ecu and look for one of the names on the printed circuit board .

When you say it won't boost does it not make boost at all or does it cut out ?

Has it got a boost gauge if so what does it peak at .

Does it idle ok and what colour injectors does it have .

Could you chuck a couple of pics up of under the bonnet including vac lines from turbo/actuator to boost solinoid (drivers side suspension turret on a black bracket)

So v3 but either 97/98 year. This one is white and pretty sure it hasn't got the badges. I will get some pictures of it+engine bay etc and try get them up tonight. And as far as I know it doesn't boost. It doesn't cut out when driving, but idling is a bit lumpy.. Which i guess the Split intake hose will cause? Thanks for your help by the way

I'm assuming it's a v3 but will soon know once I've seen the bay pics .

Parts places and insurance companies normally get a bit confused as to what year and model jdm stuff is but the model codes tell you what it was when it left the factory ,so are normally the best way to identify a scoobs correct model .

As for help, your welcome that's what we're here for fella

it's just not always that easy to solve problems without actually seeing the car in the flesh and knowing what's been done to it by previous owners

• Like 1

Reason being, (or this was true for my car) your ecu should have a sort of default running setup which it uses if it's not getting any info at all from somewhere.

However, don't run it for too long like this as you can end up with it running lean, which can cause a whole world of very expensive problems