Hi, just joined up and thinking about getting a Forester

Beth

Hi all.

I decided to join as I have been looking around for a Forester (Ive narrowed it down to a 2.0xt)

Please expect lots of simple questions from me about this and that as I figure out exactly what I want

Beth x

• Like 2

Hi welcome to S.O.C 

And feel free to ask simple question we like them :D brain hurts after awhile :) And welcome to join in on all the forum great bunch on here :) 

• Like 1

Hello & welcome, have a look at the buying guide that's lurking around, although it's impreza based it applies to all subaru's things to look out for on the foz are mainly head gasket's but I think the 2.0 is fairly bullet proof ot's more the 2.5 (Mr b will confirm at some point I hope)

And check the rear shocks, if it has the self leveling units (sls) and that they are working correctly, easiest way is to park the car on level ground and have a look at the way she sits, if it looks like a dog scraping it's bum on the floor then They will need replacing, don't go to subaru unless you want a giggle or heart attack, they can be replaced for normal shocks and springs at a third of the price subaru will quote for a single sls unit.

Apart from that they are great cars and if your into changing a few bits or dressing the engine bay up 90% of the corresponding years impreza bits will fit

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

The Forester really is great vehicle, I've had my 2.0 xt for four months now and have not regretted buying it.You get a 4wd estate car

that really aren't that common on the road bags of grip and are quicker than they look(that's before you feel the urge to add a sporty exhaust and a remap).

As always plenty of good advice on here about what to look for and the only thing I can add is take look at the mpg figures, get used to that sort of return on your fuel,they are not the most economical 2.0 litre about but they sure are one of the most fun to drive.

Good Luck.

On long steady trips I can see high 30's. Even with a mix of spirited & motorway 33-35 mpg is achievable.

If you decide to drive like you stole it then around mid 20's is more realistic.

But the grin factor outweighs all the numbers imo [emoji51]

• Like 1

As far as I'm aware it's only the n/a cars have the low range gearbox, depends on how 'off road' off road is if you see what I mean ?

Mine does a bit at the festival each year down dirt tracks through muddy/boggy fields etc and doesn't have any problems plowing through the mud

As far as I'm aware it's only the n/a cars have the low range gearbox, depends on how 'off road' off road is if you see what I mean ?

Mine does a bit at the festival each year down dirt tracks through muddy/boggy fields etc and doesn't have any problems plowing through the mud

Not offroad offroad but down dirt tracks etc. I have an AWD Jaguar at the moment and that is ok but its quite low and I worry about it getting stuck!

Yes looks like it, if you go to view one another way of checking is by lifting the arch up and letting go, it should compress a little but if it feels really loose or saggy then it's on its way out or dead,

You can get replacement shocks for about 80 quid a corner and around the same for springs, Mr b has a thread on here somewhere with part numbers,

If you go see one and put an offer against it i'd try and get 200-300 off or have the garage replace it before you take delivery

One other thing to look out for is if it has rubber spring assistors inserted between the springs, mine had non sls units and looked fine until I spotted them, once I'd taken the rubber assistors out the back end dropped

Www.pedders.co.uk do bolt in replacmemts kits too