Engine judder and cut out.

Hi I have a 1998 Impreza terzo and have an issue with it juddering and cutting out I had two exhaust leaks which I thought was causing the problem but they have been fixed and it did not cure the cutting out. Car runs fine and dose not have that issue if I take the lamda sensor out. I've had my garage put it on the computer but they can't get a reading as there's don't work on Subaru also phoned a couple of remap places and they don't get involved with subau. any ideas what could be causing this (coil pack/spark plugs/boost solenoid??? Don't wanna keep chucking parts at it so before I do thought I'd ask on here 1st.

No engine light on it has come on once and gone I thought it had to be because of the exhaust leaks one in the centre after the down pipe and one befor the turbo in the up pipe would this have messed with the ecu should I reset ecu to get rid of any codes

I did word that a bit silly. You can still do the self code check and see what codes the ecu has recorded.

Do a code check before resetting it and after the reset monitor it and if it logs a code again check that before it can log too many.

If it's gone out again i'd say either lambda or less likely maf. If you find a local independent subaru place they will have the ssm1 kit to check properly, if you really want to have a basic look you can get a cable & software from www.evoscan.com

Ok will try do checks over weekend. Pretty sure it's not the maf as the garage tested that. Lambda sensor is about 4 years old and my spark plugs were done about 3/4 years ago so maybe they should be changed. It's a bit strange I get two exhaust leaks and the day after finding them the car started to cut out when coming to a stop then juddering and cutting out at around 4000rpm if the ecu has not been reset after haveing the exhaust fixed would it still have the code stored even tho it's been fixed. Can't see it being lambda even tho the car dosnt have the issue without it I thought the ecu kind of ignores the lambda after 3500rpm hope u can sort of understand what I'm saying as I'm not so good at wording things

The ecu will save every code from when it was last reset. You may be in for a surprise.

When you say cuts out at 4k rpm, you mean the engine basically stalls?

Whats the mileage on the plugs? I'd go for a change anyway at that age.

Ah OK. I didn't see that symptom earlier in the thread. Strange. Is it a sudden cut out or cough and splutter first? How long do you have to leave it before it will start again?

Sent from my HTC Desire 510 using Tapatalk

Judders then stalls. Starts straight away and if I drive it normal it's fine soon as I boot it that's when it cuts out I've had new fuel pump/fuel filter/air filter/crank sensor next is coil pack and spark plugs. Haven't had time over the weekend to do an ecu reset hopefully that will cure it

Blimey. Good luck. I did have a very similar problem with a Vauxhall Zafira once. No code logged but was the coil pack.

Sent from my HTC Desire 510 using Tapatalk

Most code readers won't work on classic scoobs but you can check the codes yourself [emoji6]

http://uk.subaruownersclub.com/forums/topic/2366-manually-reading-ecu-codes/page-1

Have you changed the spark plugs recently?

Is there any breathing mods fitted (cone ,decat ect )

If you've got a boost gauge what does it peak at?

I done one before I reset it and there must of been quite a few as it was flashing for a while in diff patterns. Didn't have time to do another check as it got dark. When I drove the car to reset ecu the check engine light was flashing the the whole time till I turned car off is that right

I've just checked my fault code and it flashes the same code over and over again think it's number 23 it's to long flashes and 3 quick flashes then a pause then dose the same again. Am I doing it right connect the two black wires and then turn ignition on and to reset ecu it's the two green ones.

Yeah just checked lol I knew 2 and 3 related to some 02 issues just the other way around 32 is O2.

Have you tried doing the stall test on the maf even if the garage had tested it and it's showing a value still may not be operating correctly