Help needed re Major Engine Repair

Rik

sorry to hear the situation your in.

First off bottom end is a must, when the gasket goes water gets into the cylinder, water is none compressible so means the piston can't move up enough and subsequently pinches the bearing between the rod and crank.

Problem you have is cheap means your prob gonna end up paying twice.

3k for engine rebuild is about right sort of ball park, being very specific with what is and isn't included. Also the exact extent of the damage wont be known till its fully stripped down and you get a full engineering report.

Clinic are currently building my engine ( http://uk.subaruownersclub.com/forums/topic/15071-tidgys-project-type-r/ ) and there were various things that simply can't be costed until you know what's needed. Mine needed a block, heads needed the valve guides redoing which both add to the bill considerably, but better that than use a block that is way outside of tolerance due to taper on the bore or heads that the valves aren't guided properly.

Come service/maintenance time your not paying costs for what the car cost you, but for what it was new. While it may have cos under 8k for the car, new it would have been near 30k. People forget that when they buy them.

Scoobyclinic do all my work and you could always pop in and discuss options with them.

• Like 1

Tidgy,

Thanks for your kind words...appreciated.

What you have written is worrying to me.

If the block needs replacing and it could well be the case, then I really don't know at this point as to how we could afford to get it fixed.

As I said earlier, we could maybe buy an engine from a breakers yard but could end up having to re-build that, as there's no guarantee that another unit would be perfect.

Though anything mechanical is never perfect we know.

Scooby Clinic is well over 200miles from me, so popping in isn't an option I'm afraid.

The person who sold us the car was within nominal mileage to the Clinic, hence some of the work was done on the car there.

Regards,

Rik.

There is a whole short engine on the bay at the mo brand new, it's an ej20g so an older block but all you would need to do is bolt your heads on after a skim and all the ancillaries,

also know of a garage that has a jdm v8 bottom end knocking around but would need stripping and checking to be thorough

• Like 2

Stants,

Thanks for trying to help out.

The one shown in the bay link would have been practically on my doorstep, as I used to live north of Wolves, so that short block in Bilston would have been easy to go see etc:

Regards,

Rik.

Tidgy,

Is there a way to PM members on here?

Would contact you giving location.

Regards,

Rik.

rough area eg im in nottingham, is fine mate, gives us an idea of what decent tuners are near you

Only major differences between the 2.5 sti engine and a 2.5 wrx one is the sti one has forged pistons ,more agressive cams and avecs heads.

So it would need to be remapped due to the different cams and compression ratio . Although I'm unsure if the avecs engine loom would just plug into the wrx or whether it would need modification but you could just run it with the avecs unplugged .

Any 2.5 or 2ltr engine will mate up fine with any 5 or 6 speed as the bell housings/ back of the blocks are the same ,I'm running a 04 plate sti Ppp 6 speed in my 94 plate 2ltr jdm sti

I also built my own 2ltr forged engine (good for 500hp) it cost me just under £2k including machining costs, Mahle pistons ,b.c rods ,acl bearings ,Apr head and big end bolts ,cossie stopper heagaskets, rcm oil pump ,full kevlar belt kit and group n gasket kit ect

So it can be done cheaper if your willing to have a go yourself .personally I think what you want from the car as a end result and budget is a important factor when considering a replacement or refreshed engine

A refreshed Wrx 2.5 lump can be pushed to 380 hp relatively safely

A second hand Sti 2.5 will see closer to 450hp

• Like 2

Savage bulldogs,

Thanks...Some very useful info you've given me and it's all food for thought.

How long ago was it when you rebuilt your engine?

Regards,

Rik

Just over 2 yrs and about 8k mls since it's been fitted but it's not beeing used to it's full potential and is only running 350hp due to needing a bigger turbo.

Hopefully I should have wined and moaned enough by about Xmas for the Mrs to release the funds for a quick spooling 400hp turbo though [emoji39]

• Like 3

Savage bulldogs,

You seem to have a good working knowledge of these engines and it's great to know there are many here who know what they're talking about, re Scoobies.

You mention 'avecs heads', being fitted to Sti's and there's somewhere I'd seen that WRX's have these fitted??

Would the car we have ... a 2.5 WRX wagon, registered late March 2006, possibly have these heads fitted?

I'm just interested to know that's all.

Regards,

Rik.

I've rebuilt and worked on numerous marks of motors ,so have a reasonable amount of mechanical experience but I've only ever worked on 93 to 98 classic imprezas.

So only have limited knowledge of the later "newage" specs but I don't think all newage sti's have avecs .

Possibly just the later blobeye 2ltr jdm imports that do (along with big port heads) and tbh I'm not sure if any 2.5 tlrs had avecs.

Hopefully one of the newage owners would have the definite answer but I'm fairly sure that avec cam covers are a slightly different profile in the center of the cam pulleys .so a goggle of avecs cam cover pics might help identify if your engine has avecs.

• Like 1

Savage bulldogs,

Once again I'm very gratefull for your help. Thanks.

I did have a Google, re avecs, but it seemed a bit of grey area to me?

One thing is clear to me now though...I assume we have what is termed, a 'Newage' model,

so that alone helps when clarifying jobs, parts etc:

Regards,

Rik.